IJN Yamato

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by ish311, Sep 20, 2015.

1. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0369.JPG
    had to fix an issue with the aft deck making extra solid area and just modeled up a fix and printed it rather than worry about how i was gonna do the hanger cutout later.

Tugboat likes this.
  2. ish311

ish311 Active Member

half constructed yamato ss.png
    working on building the full ss minus the turrets that i already bought. about 6 hours of work pulling details from about 3 sets of plans and adapting some things to 3d printing resolutions

Tugboat likes this.
  3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Cool.

4. ish311

ish311 Active Member

woof. 23 hour print for a test print of a parametric model of a yamato i found that was pretty darned good but just isn't optimized right so back to building mine again. ( what i have modeled will take about 8 hours and that seems to be about perfect per chunk for me.)

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Some of the cool models found online are NOT optimized for 3D printing, lots of polys.

6. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0381.JPG
    test print came back a couple mm short in the second aa turret and with a badly leveled bed but it is about the single largest thing i can print.

7. ish311

ish311 Active Member

solenoid reinforcer test.png
    going to test this to try reinforcing and positioning my solenoids in the boat. not printing the springs as they are just to weak printed
    yamato ss update.png
    and the update on the SS

hull is cut but stringers need reinforcing and in some places rebuilt.

8. Tugboat

Printed springs? For what?

9. ish311

ish311 Active Member

not spring sprigs. lovely autocorrect. damned computer keeps converting my 1" to 1mm in the stl so i have to rebuild and convert everything to metric tonight..... sigh wish spartan built in metric so i could just use the plans without conversions.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

What do you model in? Inventor happily lets me mix metric and imperial in dimensions so long as I specify the units that are inconsistent with the document settings. The export to STL function also has a toggle for target units.

11. Tugboat

It's really easy to convert before you work in the software... Especially for the few things that match up to SAE vs metric. I mean, for the Spartan,s it's like 2 holes, ja?

12. ish311

ish311 Active Member

modled is plain old autocad. might export it into inventor. set it as imperial and worked in imperial but it's exporting in metric....

13. NickMyers

So everything is ending up small?
    If its converting to metric for the export, i'm afraid i dont see the problem? STLs are technically unitless, point space is in arbitrary units, most slicers that I've seen assume that the coordinates are intended to be measured in mm. If you're having a scaling issue are you sure Autocad is not exporting the original imperial units to the STL (and thus everything ends up about 4% of intended size) ?

14. ish311

ish311 Active Member

should be 40.44mm long. just redid the export and ran it through a check and it is at 40.44mm something is off when i drop it into matter slice. but now that i know the dimensions i can just force the scale properly

test came back and i need to mirror the layout. got the orientation wrong for the way i want the posts to set. might just screw in the solenoids to the plate and put a gate tab in the hull to make the solenoids easy to service but not gonna fall loose.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  15. ish311

ish311 Active Member

while sitting around waiting for parts and deciding how i was gonna put together the solenoids i happened upon maxspin's thread on the direct hookup solenoids........ I'm gonna get some parts and see if i can make that work. if so my entire gun deck will be super easy to remove for maintenance and damage checks. the elbows are on the way and i have the rest of the parts. and if it doesn't work i still have the parts to build them in the standard style as well.only thing that will be interesting might be getting all 3 guns in there with the rear gun. looking into that as well might just have to design something custom to use with the information from the current ant-farms just modified to have outputs where i need them.

or not. if the elbow comes out at the same height that it appears to do so on maxspin's boat it should be the perfect height for the ant-farms to deck-mount as well.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  16. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0384.JPG

first test fit of parts. still need to drill the mag pressure tube holes and cut the up tube copper but very very rough fitting is done.

sigh got to the rest of the parts and somehow i have 2 very different parts under the same part number. one is a 1/4 x 1/4 and the others are 1/4 x 1/8... so now i get to try to send back parts.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  17. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0388.JPG
    very rough fit of the dual turret. will need to trim one of the barrels to make the other match and to keep them from hanging over any cause someone will decide that hugging my guns would be the best way to not get shot.
    IMG_0389.JPG
    used the exact same plate for the triple arangement as the double. will need to drill out the holes in the deck for the reload points but it fits rather nicely sofar

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

18. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Looking good!

19. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0418.JPG

launch and carry rig is about 80% complete

take three guesses on what the wheels are

20. NickMyers