I'm new to this hobby

Discussion in 'Construction' started by poncho_guy, Jul 30, 2021.

1. poncho_guy

poncho_guy New Member

I would like to know what you make hulls out of and how they're made.

2. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Three basic types.
    wood
    Fiberglass
    3d printed.

It all depends on your wants. Fiberglass is the easiest to do. You just buy the hull and you’re good to go. Then you just build out following along with any of the dozens of build threads or member how-to videos. Fiberglass hulls are simply the easiest way to get a boat on the water.

Wooden hulls take a long time to build and can become quite the project. If you want to know your boat down to the last glue joint, this is the way to go. Wood builds can be as fun as they are frustrating.
    To build a wooden hull, you need a rib plan (or stations) and then need to build them to the rulesets of your preferred combat style or local club. Typically cutting about 2 dozen ribs from quality 6mm or 1/4” birch plywood (not the hardware store junk..) laying out keels, subdecks, stringers, weather decks, and building up hard area, then covering with fiberglass.
    Wood hulls are A LOT of work.

3d printed hulls are the new kids on the scene. Battle tested but unless you have someone willing to design one for you or print one for you, they are still rather limited in availability.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  3. poncho_guy

poncho_guy New Member

I do have a 3d printer (ender 3 pro) but do not know if I should just find some random STL file off the internet and cut it up into segments on freecad and use epoxy to bind together the segments (build plate is 220 x 220 mm

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

You may also find some laser cut wood kits out there from rcengr or myself/nick and a few others... lost a lot of availability when strike went under, but there were a lot more wood kits sold than boats ever actually built. I used to be a die hard glass hull builder, then after a few laser cut wood boats, I've gotten to where the work involved to get them serviceable is awful similar, so if what you want is in wood kit format, don't sweat it.

darkapollo likes this.
  5. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

It is not as easy as it seems. Starting with an STL is the 'long way' to go as you need to first stitch the faces together to make a surface, then turn the surface into a solid, then do all of the editing. You would need to cut in penetrable windows, prop ways, motor mounts, sub decking, top decking, any stringers, etc. It is a lot more work than it seems.
    I start with imported hull profiles and create lofts. As I am tied to a computer at work, I have created a Bismarck, Scharnhorst (those two are *not* beginner boats...), and I am currently working on creating the SMS Derfflinger (I love german boats)

Panzer likes this.
  6. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Come to a battle.
    Who cares if you build a boat if you can't come to battles.

darkapollo likes this.