Inexpensive HK brushless ESC

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by GregMcFadden, Mar 11, 2021.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-45a-2-3s-waterproof-brushless-car-esc-w-reverse-2a-bec.html

Picked up two of these to run this summer as a test. Stupid simple to set up, still needs waterproofing. We'll see how they go but for the cost, it is worth a shot. Biggest downside is 50% reverse thrust, which, given that the ship it is going in runs at 50% forward max, won't be an issue for me, but be aware. I'll post more after I run them for a bit. seem to transition nicely from forwards to reverse on the bench.

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

They're copies of super cheap standard issue china factory ESC's they sell on banggood and aliexpress. Sometimes you can find them for 2 for $10.

They're known to cause wonderful fires, as is documented all over youtube in rc cars, trucks, crawlers, etc. And they don't even sink those. Sometimes they flat out fail with no warning and short the motor out, you'll get an awesome puff of smoke and the ESC seems fine but then the windings in the motor itself are all black and burnt. Had that happen myself.

These products are use at your own risk. Good luck with them, maybe you'll luck out and get a good one.

3. GregMcFadden

Do you have any links I'd like to investigate a little bit. after playing with them I have a couple suspicions as to root cause and it would be fun to try to confirm that experimentally

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I dont have any links on hand, they're sold under a number of names. TSSKY is the one I remember. Speaking from personal experience I burnt out two of the 120A ones almost immediately and one of them killed 2 brushless outrunners before I realized it was the thing causing the motors to spontaneously combust.

It's a very very cheap knockoff of a 10~ year old hobbywing design they don't make anymore. I think an old XERUN?

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I used my precious week of vacation and drove 40 hours round trip. Booked a week in a hotel. Bought meals at restaurants for 9 days.
    yep saving $30 on that part that failed and ruined my week was sure worth it.
    don’t cheap out on this hobby. Somethings you can save on other you can’t.

6. GregMcFadden

What are you running for brushless esc, I am still running 8 year old cheap hk car controllers that are similar to these, but I need some spare

7. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Hobbywing WP10BL60 for drive and HobbyKing F-80A for pumps. If you need more amps for drive Hobbywing makes a 120a waterproof designed for larger rock crawlers and trophy trucks but it's $$$. But as bob said above, some things are worth spending the $$ on.