Info and plans for Roma/Littorio/VittorioVeneto

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Kotori87, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hi, folks. I am looking for plans for the Roma class battleships. I especially need lots of good rib sections. I am also interested in any photos of the original ships under construction, especially of the bow and stern. thanks!

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

As far as free plans, I found: (it won't help you at all)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/RNLittorio_class_profile.jpg

Otherwise, you are going to have to purchase plans.

I have found the following vendors:

http://wja1992.safeshopper.com/43/1464.htm?159
    http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=231663&ck=
    http://www.taubmansonline.com/
    http://floatingdrydock.com/TFW2.htm

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I have a set of Roma Plans but they are in a light blue ink and faded.They aer side and top profile only but extremely detailed.
    I too am building a Roma(Ralph Cole hull)with a Camurati Superstructure. This is being built for small (fast) gun combat.

I am looking for a set of Bismarck plans for 1/144 scale as well.

4. Robert Clarke

Robert Clarke Member

There are ANB plans for the Roma available at Taubman, but the are expensive. I have some ANB plans for other ships and they are very good.

Another choice could be a paper model.
    They can provide good detail, usualyy with a good number of sections, although they sometimes require a little head scratching.
    The instructions are hardly ever in English, but the diagrams are self explanatory and if you are just using it for reference then it doesn't matter anyway.

Just make sure that it is a full hull model - many are waterline models.

I have used papermodels to get superstructure details and to make plugs for moulds.
    This one:
    http://www.hobbyfactory.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_39_58&products_id=438
    is a 1:200 full hull model, and is probably reasonably accurate. Just double check the dimension once it is enlarged. You have to allow for the fact that a layer is glued over the section also, but even if you ignore that, it should still be within legal variation.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hi I've seen those paper models that Rob has and they are a very good source as well.

I found a excellent waterline drawing on Blueprints.com

Incidentally I copied 2 plans from this site.One set for the USS TENNESSEE REFIT VERSION. I had it blown up to 1/144 yesterday and it came out very well. I was able to lay out the combat gear on it and have the internals figured out.
    Looks like I will be able to carry 3 6v12 amp batteries, plenty of room in the hull.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Where is Blueprints.com? I got some home plans website :(

HA! I will sink you all with my scale split-level Ranch with back patio!

7. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I think its http://www.the-blueprints.com/; but I cannot check because of the blood proxy here at work.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

http://www.the-blueprints.com/index.php?blueprints/ships/battleships-us/

Try this.I just came from the site.

I got to this by typing in USS TENNESSEE BLUEPRINTS ON GOOGLE. A page came up and just look down the page and locate Referenced data base USS Tennseesee click that and it will get you directly to the Blueprint site containing ships.

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

Found North Carolina! I need to get the caps and planes/catapults. Hope you ordered the planes good buddy.

10. Tugboat

Actually, Brian Koehler has the molds for twin-float scoutplanes, and I have the plans for the Vought OS2 Kingfisher that the NC has on her Catapult at the moment! I went over to see her on vacation and took 240 pics of the ship (and plane). I LOVE digital cameras :) No naughty thoughts Craig! Bad Craig!

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

hehehhehe well, someone knows me well already. LOL. ummmmm what is the deal on the scoutplanes? Krijn from the OAF has soem already built and was going to order them for me. Are there pics of Brian's or yours? As for the pics of NC. I wish I could see her myself guy. I will some day.

12. Tugboat

Craig, it is SOOO worth the trip. Very cool time, my poor wife was dragged all over the ship. If you don't live in the southeast, make it a total paradise vacation and travel from the NC down to Charleston, SC to see the Yorktown(CV10), plus the destroyer Laffey, a Coasty cutter, and a diesel boat with an unpronounceable name.

As for the deal on scoutplanes, if you have some ordered, cool, if not, I can talk to Brian about it since we don't have the online storefront set up yet.

13. Craig

Craig Active Member

*sighs* I ... wanna... go.... it woudl be soooo kewl. Seeing thousands of pics, just does not do the justice tactifully. Your poor, supportive, understanding, amazing wife. :) It woudl take 27 hours to travel by car to the site. Get your gear on guy! You guys are in the consruction business too?!?! What else you got?

14. Tugboat

The only thing I construct is hulls :) I'm a med student which eats an unsurprising amout of time. It's easier in some ways, though, because being the old fart of my class (at 36), I don't get grief from the patients about looking like a high-schooler :)

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Craig I haven't heard back from KRIJIN yet. I was going to arrange a paypal with him so that I can put in my order for the secondaries and stuff. Hey Tugboat if you guys can get Craig the planes that would be great. I need a plane as well for Tennessee(refit). How much would they be?Craig I will wait till we hear from these guys and if you guys can post a pic of what those planes look like that would be great too.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I've been on the NC and the Yorktown and the Laffey ect. It was a great trip. It was a stopover for us on the way to Disney. I enjoyed the tour particular "CHARLIE" the ALLIGATO. It is soo cool to see a battleship close up.

17. Tugboat

I'll email Brian and ask him the cost, he knows more about that, I'll ask him to take a digital photo too(he's been doing that of the lineup anyway).

As I was saying, we have a 2-float aircraft now, the Kingfisher has the one big central float. Make sure we have what you want :) The Kingfisher won't be a reality for a month or so. Also, to keep the planes durable under battle conditions, they do not have clear canpoies, the canopies are molded in the foam and you paint them "glass colored" :)

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That's fine with me on the canopy. No hurry for the plane ..ok I want it as soon as possible heh heh. Thanks

19. Craig

Craig Active Member

This is the Kingfisher deal you were talking About Curtai? Well done. ummmmm We need pictures MAN! When of course you get them completed. LOL What was the asking price again?

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That's what I am waiting for pics and the price. You donkey!