Inline Rudders?

Discussion in 'IRCWCC' started by wdodge0912, Dec 2, 2022.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

So I have a Duilio and am plan Sunday to work on it, hopefully getting the rudders and guns all set. I've been told it can be made into a single rudder ship, but I do not see this in the rules. if this is true, can someone point me into the right direction?

also, when trying to find that said rule, I did notice it says
    C. SCALE AND PROPORTIONS
    5. Each ship shall be equipped with the proper scale number of shafts and rudders, all in relatively scale locations with respect to the longitudinal centerline of the ship, and with scale relative fore/aft placement between components. (I omitted the rest of this text and following sub texts as it pertains to only props)

that kind of says it needs the 2 rudders inline. am I just being told wrong?

I would also like to mention that the allowable area is "Moveable rudder"

D. RUDDERS
    2. The maximum movable rudder area allowed for a ship shall be determined by ship's allowed
    total offensive/defensive units. For each 1/2 unit, a ship will be allowed 1/2 sq. in of rudder
    area.

so keeping to having to have the 2 rudders, if the front rudder was just pinned into place, making it non-movable, that should fill the scale number of rudder requirement while also not taking away any movable area from the rear rudder, correct?

just want to make sure my bases are covered here before messing up rudders that are already built and to scale

2. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

Bump, since there hasn't been any responses. I don't want to mess with the rudders right now until I know.

3. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Where is the second rudder?

Can you make it into an adjustable drag disk?

4. pipi135

pipi135 Member

This is what I did on my Derfflinger

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Yes

6. Huru MorDae

Huru MorDae Active Member

I have the Giulio Cesare in the works, it is very similar to the Doria/Duilio. I have both of my rudders connected to a single servo and she turns like a dream. And you do have plenty of room to do this.