Discussion in 'Steampunk Flotilla' started by Xanthar, Mar 12, 2022.
Since this isnt a combat model, I would use micro linear servos for elevates.
Dang. You're making me wish I hadn't sold mine so long ago. Then again, back then it was a very terrible boat. I'd have been better off if I'd built a QE back then.
Got any links to good ones?
Yep. I have a few of these.
Obviously get the ones with the right pigtail.. I just linked to a generic version.
FLASH HOBBY 2 Packs Digital Analog Servo Loading Linear Actuator 1.5g Servo Micro GS1502 Servo Coreless Motor for Ultra-Micro 3D Flight Aircraft
So... this is a little cheesy but, I think it will be sufficient.
That is 1/16" ID Tubing on the motor shaft with 3/32" ID tubing over both shafts.
Nothing wrong with that.
That'll do. I use Dubro fuel line as a flexible coupling on all my Big Gun ships in the same way. Not great for high-torque applications, but for moderate loads and smaller there is nothing simpler.
I had some time to work on the underwater elements.
@SteveT44 's trick with the Oregon chain saw grease gun worked really well to fill up the tube.
I'm pleased that there don't seem to be any leaks in the 3D printed nacelle and the stuffing tube is holding.
Update: After floating for 12 hours, it's still nice and dry inside : )
Here's the improved shaft coupling.
These 3DP ferrules give it a lot more grip.
I decided to change it up a little. I'm including the deck step in these models and raising the fore deck up 3/4" to give me more space for the turret rotation mechanisms.
That required cutting the main deck into 2 pieces and I wasn't happy with how much that would weaken everything so, I made new "deck" profiles that will go on the bottom of the rafts to make it strong and allow sturdy attachment of the drive nacelle.
I bought a new router and fitted it into an old hand-me-down router table which, let me pattern route the new pieces with a 1/4" flush cut bit. That worked great and saved me a ton of time.
Now with a higher fore deck and a proper step at the third turret. The cheap Harbor Freight hot knife made cutting the new layer of foam easy. Getting a 4' x 8' sheet of foam in my Jeep was more of a challenge.
I'm working on the a mock-up of the superstructure.
I just added the underwater features to the mock-up. The forward fin should help it to pivot and keep all eight barrels on the target : P
I spent a little time working on the 3d printed walls of the superstructure. It will be printed in 3 pieces and glued together. The roof will be an inset plywood panel. Screws will hold it down to the deck.
It's been a while since I've worked on this but, here's a pic of the first rotating turret :
That's looking pretty cute. You're making me almost want one.
These are great! Love the progress here!