Interesting email

Discussion in 'General' started by Beaver, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

So I just checked my email and saw this. What do you guys think?

Hello Caleb

I'm an independent product designer and inventor in NJ and I have recently invented a new type of RC boat. (and an RC Tank, but I'll get to that)

Quick background: I believe that RC boats have a limited appeal because although racing is lots of fun, for that to work, people need an equal opponent, plenty of space and a defined race course. I set out to change that. And this is what I came up with.

Here's a short summary of my invention:
    - It will be a new toy category that's never been done before.
    - It's an RC boat that can have real battles, real winners and real losers
    - According to my daughter's friend "the most fun I've ever had"
    - It's fully prototyped (20 versions and counting),
    - It's patent pending (awarded Track One status so it will be patented in a couple of months),
    - It's ready for manufacturing (with style and size modifications as preferred)
    - Its been vetted by a famous toy broker (I declined a one-sided representation contract)
    - I have a 7" version (and a video if you would like) that can be played with indoors, in just 3 inches of water
    - Or larger (12-18") for indoor/outdoor play in small pool or pond/lake, etc
    - Partners and teams can play against each other using teamwork and strategy
    - The collectibles and hobby market would be a natural fit (I envision meets with different classes (corvette, destroyer, battleship) fighting multi-ship wars

But then I found that there is a small community that have real battles with BBs. I checked your youtube channel, IRWCC, RCWC, etc. and you guys do exactly what I think we can do with my boat, with one crucial difference - no boats get damaged - just sunk.

Sorry - message is getting long... would you like to check out a video or 2?

Ultimately I'm looking for good people that can make and sell these and grow it into something big.

Eli Atalla
    President
    Divergent Devices LLC
    Harrington Park, NJ
    201-230-2992

2. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

Perhaps it’s some kind of IR technology similar to what is found on some toy tanks. I also had someone approach me about expanding the hobby using IR technology.

My opinion: If it doesn’t shoot a BB I’m not interested.

3. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Did you check out the videos?

4. acomputerdog

acomputerdog Member

Interesting indeed. Personally I like the physical damage caused by BBs, but I can see the appeal in not having to repair the ship after battle. Did you watch the videos that they sent?

5. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Sounds perfect for those who can't build a boat

Kevin P. likes this.
  6. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Hey if it acts as a low cost feeder game for our hobby it sounds good to me.

The $50 Walmart version and then what we do, there's room for both.

Kevin P. likes this.
  7. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

I got an identical email via LinkedIn. That last line, to me, was telling. "Ultimately I'm looking for good people that can make and sell these and grow it into something big."

WillCover likes this.
  8. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Well I wrote him back and got to see some videos.
    As I guessed, he's using a water stream to fill up the other boat and sink it. It has a very "Walmart" look to it, definitely not based upon any real ship. His design definitely doesn't have the appeal factor of this hobby (at least to me). I don't know if it would be successful in the real world or not.