Looking For Iowa battleship hull and plans

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Justin Ragucci, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Justin Ragucci

Justin Ragucci Well-Known Member

I am just wondering if someone wanted to build an Iowa class battleship where would they get the plans and the hull for it because I don’t see it on battlersconnection? Was just curious.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Build the NC, a much better boat.

3. aleMI

aleMI Active Member

+1 for the NC or a smaller BB to start with. If you're absolutely set on the Iowa, strikemodels is still selling plans; you can pick up an Iowa plan there. Unfortunately Strike no longer appears to sell an Iowa hull, so you'll have to end up scratch building or picking up a hull from an elsewhere source.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  4. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Ralph Coles in Canada has a mold, not sure if he is still making hulls or not

Also Dreadnought Hulls out of Australia. I have 3 hulls from them, some assembly is required post shipping

http://www.geocities.ws/dreadnoughthulls/#Hulls Available

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  5. Justin Ragucci

Why do you think the NC is a better ship in your opinion?

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Shorter, so it can turn better, plus the Iowa is so long it has way too much area to shoot at.

7. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

You should start off with something in class 4 or 5 before going to class 6+. Get a build or two under your belt and it will make your overall experience a lot better

Comparing the NC vs the Iowa, you can really just look at the number of each that have been built in the past 10-15 years to see the huge difference. If you check out old MWC combat videos, it looks like you couldn't throw a rock in the pond without hitting an NC. There have only been a few Iowa class built and battled over the same time period. Back in mid 2000's there were 2-3 active in the IRC, and only one that stayed active for a while (captain had a fondness for the Iowa class specifically).

As a size comparison, the Iowa is over a foot longer, and 15 pounds heavier with the same beam. The Iowa can serve as a wall much better than the NC, nothing else on the water will move it (unless there is a Yam), but the NC will be quicker with the smaller weight.

The NC is a 'triple-centric' boat, where the triple sterns are the main weapon. The Iowa's stern guns are less effective based on the length of deck from the aft turret to the stern, and the length of the boat overall, so it is very difficult to get them to skim the water like the triples from a good NC. Additionally if you use two pumps in the Iowa then you only get dual sterns, which are a dime a dozen in the allied fleet. The Iowa is side-mount centric, but it is very difficult to get decent down angle on the guns in A turret if the barbette and turret height are scale. The scale barbette height is like 3/32" on the front edge (I measured on the real ship), which limits their effectiveness, which leaves B turret as the main weapon.

I think the Iowa can be pretty effective if the allies use team work, or if there are two of them working together.

If you make it to the battle in NY in May I might bring my Iowa class along. It is a beast, I built it because I saw the real ship daily (when in port) for three years. Here is the build thread showing the construction. I'm just finishing the first significant refit to a few of the systems (mainly the hull, guns, general space management), I'm hopeful about the improvements.

https://www.rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/uss-missouri-build-ircwcc.445059/

Panzer likes this.
  8. Justin Ragucci

I am starting off with a Cleveland class cruiser and I did just pick up that Prinz Eugen hull on EBay for cheap so those are my two builds I am going to start with. Going to try to meet up with a local guy to do a build section. I will be at the NY may battle. I also just wanted to build a Iowa just because I do live in NJ and my father was in the same fleet as the NJ in Vietnam and he saw it in action and has some pretty awesome videos. That’s the only reason I would want to build it. But like I said not going to start on a BB just yet going to build the Cleveland and Eugen first then go from there.

9. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Dude I am so glad you got that. I was almost gonna bid on it but I thought nah I've got too many projects rite now so let someone else have it. Glad now that I held back.

10. Justin Ragucci

Yeah I was like oh this is sweet and it’s pretty cheap and plus it’s a decent starter ship so it will be worth the build and it should be here soon. Going to watch some more builder videos and look through some more threads to see if I can get a bit of a head start on doing the ribs and the hull cutout and all that stuff.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  11. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I have a pretty much complete Iowa Kit, ( I say pretty much because it has been several years since I pulled the stuff out) which includes the injected foam super structure, if you are interested.

J

12. Justin Ragucci

Yes if you have pictures please message me them.

13. Jay Jennings

I will send some pics in a day or so. I am at work now and have just moved from west to east coast and stuff is still packed. I just came across your post and thought I would ask.

J

14. Justin Ragucci

Where on the east coast did you move to?

15. Jay Jennings

St Croix, 40 minutes outside of Halifax NS

16. Jay Jennings

Here are some pics of the hull and deck, hopefully I will have some superstructure etc pics on the weekend.

IMG_20190110_152927701.jpg IMG_20190110_152948696.jpg IMG_20190110_153130513.jpg IMG_20190110_153235584.jpg

17. Jay Jennings

Hi, Are you still looking for an Iowa?

18. Justin Ragucci

Yes still looking for one

19. Jay Jennings

Some of my stuff is in the storage locker, we could get at all our post- move stuff during the winter but it is getting warmer now and we should be able to get at the rest of it. That is where the SS is I think, the hull and deck (above) are at the house now.

J