Iowa class Captains need some input

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Powder Monkey, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Starting my list and checking it twice

I'm running IRCWCC Fast Guns
    Looking for
    • Stuffing tube lengths
    • Prop size and pitch
    • Battery size / type
    • Co2 bottle size
    • Guns #straight /#coil
    • Pumps 1 or 2

Thanks again guys [^]

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Monk
    You will want at least a 7oz bottle. Not more than 9oz.
    You will probably want to run straight mags in the stern mount as it will most likely be a triple, and won't move.

On the sidemounts in the bow..
    Straight mags or coils would work if the turrets are not going to be movable,
    (piviting).
    If you do want to pivot the front turrets (which is generally not reccommended), you may need to run coil mags.

Most captains run only one pump in the Iowas, but on occasion I have seen captains run two pumps.

I can't help you with the other stuff.
    But it would certainly be nice to see more of the Iowa class ships on the water.
    Mikey

3. Powder Monkey

Thanks mike that helps and I forgot all about the pumps [:0] will have to fix that [:D]
    and I will do my best to put an Iowa into the frey by next year [^]

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I (at least on my Yamato) always liked to run two 9oz tanks. that allowed me to separate the air systems so that all the twins fired like singles (and were that easy to tweak) and the triple fired like a single and a twin.

I would run one cannon in the turret off of the A tank and the other off the B tank. And for triples I would run two off A and one off B. the MAV-3's that ran the actuators would all run off B, equalizing the gas usage.

5. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

That's a good idea Greg. Never thought of that. I may do that with my Yamato. I don't know if Powder will have the room in an Iowa.
    Powder, you forgot one thing. What color swim trunks? :) Now that's funny.

6. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I had room for it in a tirptiz (now justin's) which is basically the same size. There is ample room in the hull for that (I say while looking at the monster in the basement)

ps. just finally managed to track down a box big enough...

7. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

The 9 oz tanks are 2" in diameter aren't they? If they are, that's what I designed around, twin 2" dia. tanks. (I think there are a couple of different capacity tanks that are 2" in dia.) I even added cradles on the ribs on either side of the water channel to hold them in place. Was going to try to use one of Justin's ideas and use magnets to retain them, I'll just drill some small dia. rare earth ones into the ribs. If you look closely, you can see them in the pic:

[​IMG]

I set some tanks in them, and as small as the cradles look, they really do a great job of holding the tank there, at least on the bench. [:0]

There is even room between the tanks for additional gear, or batteries or whatever.

8. Powder Monkey

Any one try nitro in these bigger ship I have air bottles from paintball nitro is much better if it will fit?

9. Powder Monkey

Say Getty I don’t care what color swim trunks you where just don’t forget your towel [;)]

10. Powder Monkey

Where have all the big captains gone long time passing.

come on guys dole out some of your secrets don’t make me beg [:(] because I will [;)]

11. froggyfrenchman

Sweet idea with the tank cradles cannonman.
    I saw an Iowa a few years ago in fast-gun, with two CO2 tanks, but he had to take out some of his batteries to make weight.
    He was running a pair of speed 800 motors from Polk hoobies, and 45mm 5 bladed props also from Polk.
    Mikey

12. froggyfrenchman

The Polk 800 with the Polk 5 bladed props got her up to speed, but I wouldn't recccommend it. Very expensive, and the motors ran really hot.

I also heard (although, I admit I never saw the ship), that another Iowa was set up with a pair of Dumas Pitman motors running piggy-back to each of the inner shafts.

The key to running an Iowa in fast-gun is to find the right motor/prop set-up, to get them up to speed quickly, while still being fairly efficient.
    Mikey

13. Powder Monkey

froggy where woud I get the Polk ? remember I'm new to boats [;)]

Monk

14. Powder Monkey

Thats great Greg just let me know whene you are ready [:D]

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

In my Yamato I have a very simple but very reliable setup. I use a 20oz co2 bottle that is cradled in the bow sitting on the centerline. The bottle supplies co2 to a pair of small accumulators dedicated for dual cannons port and stbd. A third line feeds a larger accumulator dedicated for the tripples. The bottle requires very little maintenance if any I have not had to maintenance the entire system for the last 8 years. All the cannonS FIRE very hard, evenly and well.

16. Gettysburg114th

Powder.
    I don't wear trunks.

17. Powder Monkey

AHHHH I'M BLINDDDDD Oh sorry I just got a visual [:p]

18. Gettysburg114th

Sorry bout that. haha Hey Mikey, just don't eat McDonalds all weekend.....

19. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

Old post but figured that I could chime in....

Wisky runs a pair of 600 motors with water cooling. Nothing special about them. No ESC, just a MAG throttle. 2" BC 4-blade props. Low pitch (I had high pitch Swampyworks on , but she was running @ 21 seconds with the new motors) . Single 9oz tank...mostly for weight. 3 x18ah 6v batts for main power. Oh and the larger rudders in the photos were built for testing a rule proposal but have not yet seen water (no one has wanted Wisky on the water with the 4 sq in rudders...)
    Andyhow, here are some pics of her internals. Don't have any up in the bow, but it's a pretty standard setup. 9oz bottle on centerline - regulator pointing aft, the expansion tank & solenoids for the doubles sits on each side of the bottle. lots of waterchanneling forward of A turret
    http://picasaweb.google.com/iunnrais/Wisconsin02#

20. froggyfrenchman

Nice looking boat. Great photos as well.
    Mikey