Iowa class Captains need some input

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Powder Monkey, Jul 13, 2008.

1. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

What ruleset is it built to? It reminds me of the first water retaining box I had on my Sodak.

2. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

She's built for MWC combat.

3. krijn

krijn Member

my iowa has old stuff in it, some stuff almost as old as me but here we go.

powerplant is 2 Marx decaperm 6v motors, these come with the gearbox on 1 end and a powerd shaft on the other the gearboxes are 1:2.75 so will reduce the almost 9000 rpm to a more practicall 3000 or so.
    i use 50 mm 4 bladed raboesch brass props (i couldnt get the 5 bladed ones and raboesch is the prop i like and its all silver solderd and properly balanced)
    i use a simple homemade esc thats capable of 20 amp .. maximum current of these decaperms at 6 v is only 7.5 a each so still below the max of the esc. my esc does feature a reversing relay so i have 100 % forward and reverse.

i use a high speed high torque duall bb airtonics 94102 servo for the rudders.
    i use 2 dual channel electronic on/off switches for the 7 solenoids and a single 10 amp electronic switch for the pump
    the pump is a stock battlers clone with a 540 type rc car racing motor on it running at 6 v.
    i use 3 x 6v 10 ah for motors,pump and extra's and a 12 v 4.5 ah for the solenoids and other extra's
    the decaperms are expensive, they where 100 dfl when i got into the rc boat hobby in the late 70's and are now 108.95 euro each .. thats about 100 us my motors are well over 30 years old !!!

i use a single 7oz co2 tank and have stepped away from tripple or dual sterns .. a single stern is enough as its hard to get a decent down angle on the stern turret, i prefer tripples on the bow so 2 x 3 forward and 1 x 1 aft, i will however mount my guns in turrets that can be changed around so i can switch amounts as desired.

Krijn

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That's an awesome setup.

5. krijn

krijn Member

Curt

Marx still exists but sadly the decaperm is now at 109 euro each. i would love to get 2 new ones for the Eendracht when i finally create a new hull for her and shove the current scharnhorst hull in the woodchipper..

i'm looking into flexible magazines right now so iowa can have all her guns and magazines in a 3 inch tube under the turret , kinda like a real warship where the turrets and all its associated hardware would just "hang" into the hull.

Krijn

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That would be cool to have setup Krijn

7. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

You might want to ask Greg Mcfadden about his muffin magazines then, I believe they might be right up your alley.

8. krijn

krijn Member

Rob

outta my pricerange

besides i like to experiment

Krijn