Iowa skegs

Discussion in 'Construction' started by FishNHard, Jan 8, 2019.

1. FishNHard

FishNHard Member

so I have a strike models iowa hull from many years ago and it dose not have skegs I have the hull striped down and was wondering do I need to and skegs to it for any set rules now . Thanks John

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Sometimes it’s better to not ask a question that you might not like the answer too haha. My individual opinion is that they are encouraged. The rules savants can probably spin up their tall tales or outlandish analogies about why they are or are not required, but if you have them then there would be no complaints.

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Kevin do you have dimensional drawings of the actual skegs? I have one of the old hulls also, but no plans showing what size they should be.

4. Kevin P.

I was able to use the drawings of the Missouri posted on this site to get a decent approximation of their size. There are pictures of the process in the build thread. I also found a handful of dry dock pictures of the real ship that showed the skews. I can add links after work if desired

5. FishNHard

FishNHard Member

Reason I ask is I taken out the old shafts and want to redo everything and figured if the rules call for them I might as well put a set in

6. Kevin P.

Pictures I came across
    Iowa_class__rudder_full.jpg
    5261314769_c8a87e147f_b.jpg
    Aft end of Iowa Class.jpg

FishNHard likes this.
  7. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

lol this thread led me down a rabbit hole that somehow got me to a thread in some navy forum where a guy who was on the USS Wisconsin in the 80s during the refit and workup apparently witnessed the ship "close the barn doors" by turning the rudder controls over to local manual and turning both rudders inward to block the water coming between the skegs like a huge brake while conducting a full ahead to full reverse transition in order to bring the ship to a crash stop.

FishNHard likes this.