(IRCWCC) Bismarck/Tirpitz

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by wdodge0912, Feb 2, 2021.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

I finally made some progress on the garage, not enough to start working, but enough I am able to get around and get to things. I finally got a picture of my Bismarck as well. Figured I'd post up a build thread for when I eventually get to it, and get feedback on the plan.

Plan is your regular old Bismarck setup. Dual Sterns, and 3 sidemounts, the C turret being a 75er, and a single pump. I've thought about Death Y, but with dual bows in B and 1.5 pumps, but I have 2 spare 75 straight mags, so.......

It has a brushless motor in it now, but I think I'm going to swap to a 775 brushed motor. Running my 3s 5200s, I think I'll go with an RS-775VF-4047. Still going to use a gearbox to connect motor to shaft, even if I use a 1:1 ratio. Since I also have to replace the gearbox in the ship to fit the 775 motor, I might as well swap to a 5mm shaft while I'm there, and since I dont have the setup or tooling to drill a 3/8 tube to fit the olite bushings in, I'm just going to go with a 10mm tube, most likely brass unless I can find stainless cheaper than my quick McMaster search.

Good thing Baden just needs a single gun put in, and the casemates cut outnamd sheeted over.

Attached Files:

tgalx3 likes this.
  2. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Looking good!

3. wdodge0912

Work on this ship is still ways away, but I have decided to keep it and give a little update on the future layout and functions of the ship. When I do get to the ship, I'm going to be doing more than it needs to battle from as it sits now.

First step is to replace the main driveshaft with a 5mm setup, which also means a new prop. Gonna go with a 2.25" prop. I do believe that is what it has on it now, but not a 5mm shaft.

Instead of running 2 9oz bottles, I think I can get away with one. I might look at getting a bigger 12oz or something. I'm going to put that where the SLA battery is now.

I plan on running my lipos, so I will stick those along the sides of the ship. I'll run a minimum of 4 per battle, most likely 5 though. With 5 of my lipos I would be at 25ah at 11.1v.

This does mean extra subdeck work since the SLA is used to support the deck. I'll also be doing some deck work, but I will cut with the teak decking so as to not ruin that.

The guns in it, while unique, I have no idea how they work. they might work just fine, but I have no idea how to work on them if something goes wrong, and that is probably something I should know how to do. My plan is to replace them with what I know. I'll probably also change the layout because I do want something different than Baden.

darkapollo likes this.
  4. Justin Ragucci

Justin Ragucci Well-Known Member

sounds like a decent setup just a question why wouldn’t you want to go with a 9oz and then like a 5 or 7oz bottle in the ship? The big bottle idea isn’t bad and if you need one I have a unusual 14oz bottle that I don’t think I’ll use it.

Also why don’t you just drill out the old prop to fit a 5mm shaft I believe that would easiest rather than getting a new prop. The Bismarck is a big ship and it a fun one for sure. Take your time building it.

If you end up selling the guns please let me know I would be willing to use them.

5. wdodge0912

The ship actually is set up for 2 9oz bottles now, I want to go with a single bottle mainly because 1 regulator is cheaper than 2. Not just initial cost, but spares and repair parts. Plus I don't have to worry about extra valves or hoses, or whatever to keep them balanced. Also it's quicker on the refills only filling one bottle.

One bottle also gives me the room to fit my 4 lipos on the outer part of the water channelling instead of in the center, so that should help water can flow to the back better, less in the way.

I could drill out the prop, but to keep it true centered, and go with what everyone else uses, a new prop would be in order.

I'll let you know on the guns. I'm not sure how much/little of of them I'll use. I'll have to see if when it comes time for gun mounting.

6. wdodge0912

As of now the ship is for sale, possibly a trade, I won't be able to get around to working on this ship. Financials are tight and with a setback on the Baden, I'm really gonna need to tighten up the ships on hand.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021