Iron Duke build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by djranier, Feb 6, 2009.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Well I got started on it Sat, and worked on it Wed and Thursday evening, So far I have been making pretty good progress on it.
    Side stern view with windows cut out. I got the rapid release dremol bit thats gold color, solid metal for wood, and boy does it make quick work of the fiberglass, did all the windows in just a little over 1 hour.
    [​IMG]
    This is a pic of the stern, with the gearboxes, stuffing tubes installed. .
    [​IMG]

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Cool, too bad the picture isnt too great, make sure to post good ones of the casemates to help newbies.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

lookin good.

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Nice pictures. She's going to be an outstanding ship.

5. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Nice pictures, you dont waste any time working do you.
    Is that the boat you're going to bring to NATS this year??
    Just wondering how long are your prop shafts? They look really long, not that it really matters, Im just curious.

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

You do a nice clean build....
    and quick....
    I got to get back to work on my Bis...:mad:

:):):):):)

7. djranier

This is the one that is going to NATS, if I get it finished. I plan on going over to Rick's again tomorrow to do some more on her, then wife will be out of town on Sunday also, so I shound get a bit more done then also.

I made the subdeck 3/8 inch, and plan on routering out the 1/8 lip all around the inside edges for the deck. That way the sides will be a solid peice of wood and may hold together a bit better.

The stuffing tubes are 12 inch long, I need to go back a bit, since I plan on dual sterns, with a rotate in the elevated stern turret, and do not want anything in the way.

I helped Rick with the first part of his internal wiring, and it came out great, I have the same planned for this one. Using the deans connectors that are mounted on the circuit board, and then mounting them under the cross beams, makes for a super clean install. Found them on the tower hobby site.

She sits very low in the water, I had her in the tub yesterday, and it looks like 24 pounds will be what I shoot for.
    I wish my back could take a Bis, I would really like to build and battle one of those, but I think this one will be about as heavy as I will go. The last time I took my Roma out, I was in pain for the next 10 days.

8. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

Man, I feel pathetic compared to your build progress!
    My VDT kit arrived safe and sound last Monday but I barely had time to unbox everything.
    Any tips on cutting out the casemate area on the BC supplied subdeck for the VDT?
    I was at Sears today and remembered you recommending the Dremel EZ attachment and almost picked one up but I couldn't remember which wheels you recommended. Got a part number? I think Sears wanted $15 for the starter kit and if Home Depot has it for a comparable price I might pick it up tomorrow. Thanks!
    (BTW, a certain package arrived in the mail yesterday. Double thanks)!!

9. djranier

The Dremel EZ is great, I was using the EZ cutting wheels on it, but today at Lowes, I saw one that was all metal, and gold in color, says it to cut wood with, but it also cuts fiberglass like you would not beleive. Also I feel safer using it because it wont blow apart like the regular type. Just make sude you have your safety glasses on no matter what when using one to the cutting wheels.

Look down in the southeast posting for Zack, Snipe posted pictures of his VDT with the windows cut out, like they say a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Np on the package. John has not received his yet, and I sent them the same time.

10. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

Great. I'll run by Lowes tomorrow and see if they have one in stock. Haven't seen one like that before.
    Thanks but I guess I wasn't too clear. I meant tips for cutting the subdeck itself to fit the shape of the hull. I had erroneously assumed I'd be cutting windows in the hull first and THEN installing the subdeck. However, in an uncharacteristic move I actually read the included BC instructions before screwing things up and saw that y'all recommend installing subdeck first, then cutting windows.
    I knew I'd have to fit the subdeck to the hull before installing but was a little surrpised to see how much cutting I'll have to do to fit to the lines of the casemates.

11. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I'd use a dremel with a drum sander to get the subdeck to fit right.

12. djranier

Mine is just sitting inside, it has not been attached as of yet. Still need to do some wirieg, and water channeling before I do that.

13. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I like to install the sub deck last. This way it is wasier to get into the ship to install gear boxes, water channeling... I also like to have everything laid out so the cross members don't end up in the way of the guns, over the gears or pump or just in the way.

14. djranier

All I got done today was to route out the subdeck, came out very nice. The rest of the day, I helped Don with his ID, so all he has to do is cut out his windows and he will be up to mine.

15. djranier

Spent a good 6 hours working on it today. You can see the routered deck edge, came out much better than I thought it would. From now on this is how I will do all my subdecks.
    [​IMG]
    Looks like Christmas with the colors. Started wiring, got a good amount of the power system wired up, still need to do the pump system, and I need to decide where the receiver is going to go, so I can finish the wiring tomorrow. As you can see I'm trying the deans connectors that are mounted on a mini circuit board. I made mounts out of ply and gluded them down. Will seal with west systems, and then will cover with the concrete sealer. I will let everyone know how it works out. It will give me a really clean looking system thats for sure.
    [​IMG]

John Bruder likes this.
  16. djranier

Well another 4 hours tonight, boy time is flying, got the wiring all done up forward, and all the mounts sealed up with West resin. Tomorrow, the rudder servo mount, and the forward for and aft, armour wall. Its also where I will mount the receiver, TD pump, and motor control, and firing boards.

Won't pour concrete sealer in until that is done, and I have the mounts in for the solenoids, and expansion tanks. I also plan on using twin 3.5 oz bottles in her. With the motor mounts so far forward, only a 3.5 oz bottle will fit, one on each side. Plus the added benefit of increased CO2 flow from the 2 regulators, so that they will not freeze up so fast. The batteries fit right between the bottles. I plan on using 30 amps worth, should last for 2 sorties with no problems.

17. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Sounds and looks goos DJ, this is going really fast, alot faster then my build anyway. I ve had my hull since October and youre farther then i am

18. djranier

Well this is I think the 5 or 6th boat that I have built, so I just have a better understanding of what I'm doing, and what needs to be done in the next steps.

As soon as you finish the one you are working on now, you will say I'm done building boats, but in a few days you will be itching to start on the next one. And with the experence from the first one, the second will go much faster.

My Nelson took me like 9 months to make, I thought I would never get it done. So far a little over a week on this one.

19. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

That boat is coming out sweet. I love that router edge and got a feeling my next one will look similiar;)
    Nice job.

20. djranier

I do too. I told Don and Rick what I was going to do, and they did not think it would come out well. As soon as Don saw mine, I was back outside doing his. Of course his came out even better, since I had figured what to do on mine.