Island Assault Mission

Discussion in 'Scenarios / Gameplay' started by Renodemona, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

This is a game that we've tried out a couple times locally and ended up being a really fun departure from the norm of fleet battles.

Setup:
    Each fleet will be given control of an island. This can be constructed of pink insulation foam or similar materials and shoul dbe about 3' x 4' in size anchored to the pond's bottom and surrounded by some PVC pipe to prevent boats from running into the island. Each island will have a number of wooden or plastic targets set up on its edge. They should be secured with magnets similar to the shore targets used in Campaign Battle. Each island should also have two aluminum pop cans filled with colored water as fuel tanks. Each fleet will also have a home port somewhere on the main shore from which to launch their ships.

Gameplay:
    This battle is timed and will last 60 minutes. Each fleet's admiral may request a 2 minute extension. Ships that are class 3 and smaller may change batteries 3 times while ships class 4 and large may change batteries only once. All ships may reload their ammo and c02 an unlimited number of times, but no warship may patch combat damage. Ships leaving and returning to battle must do so through their home port only.

Warships should engage in shore bombardment of the enemy island, trying to knock down their shore targets. Damage to warships will not count for points, only the sink points if a warship is sunk. Meanwhile, each fleet should launch convoy ships to resupply their own island. Resupply runs shall be 5 minutes long, ending in the island's harbor. Return runs from the harbor shall last 2 minutes, ending in the home port. Convoy ships may patch after a successful resupply and return run. The further details of resupply and points will be covered below.

Scoring:
    Shore targets remaining at end of battle are worth 100 points each
    Fuel tanks remaining at end of battle are worth 250 points each
    Resupply runs are as follows:
    0-19.9" long will stand back up 1 shore target
    20-39.9" long will stand back up 2 shore targets
    40-59.9" long will stand back up 4 shore targets
    60"+ will stand back up 8 shore targets and refill one fuel tank

Sinking a convoy ship will score 500 points regardless of the convoy's size and displacement. Sunk convoy ships may be recovered and may attempt further runs. Sunk warships are removed from the battle.

2. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

sounds cool how much is destorying a target.

3. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

One year a styrophome island was constructed. 2ft wide and about 4ft long. Logistical night mare. Any way it had hinged targets on it. When hit they would go down and points were awarded to what was on the target.

4. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Thats very interesting. Is this big gun or fast gun combat?

5. squires

squires Member

fast gun i assume, i can see this being a really interesting combat style with many possible deviations such as single island defense and attack however the islands would need some sort of resetting system for this style servos or something. you could use some sort of holes in the island with collection buckets the most number of hits wins but thats a little primative.

if you had an island defense system you could have multiple guns on the island if you hit the guns they disable but you score no points if you get enough hits in the certain targets on the island you win the objective unless the timer runs out, although limiting sides may be an issue for fair gameplay.

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

It can be any rule set. Dan, Kotori, and I are big gunners with the WWCC in California. I have a photo of the island, but I recall it was a real pain to transport to and from the battle pond. It's not something you want to use every day.

7. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Thanks Gascan, it looks like a lot of fun. How much did the island wieght?

8. squires

squires Member

should be ok to transport with a trailer but i would be more concerned about a decent storage area, although i think my club has recently built a shed at our pond. what was this island made from??

9. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

It was made from porus styrophom the kind that you get at craft stores. It was layered. Had about 6-8 of those pop down targets on it. It was stood up against the house on edge. The thing was anchored with 4 of those 2lb fishing wgts. It worked great. Just that no one wanted to bring it because it left no room to bring other items. Took up the whole back of my F-150. It was a neat thing to see out there. One could hide behind it.It was worth the trouble.

10. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

It did not weigh much. It took 2 people to load and unload it from truck. Once in the water no problem.The wgts you just floated them out on the island. I estimate the weight at 20-25 lbs.

11. RiverRaider

RiverRaider Member

Re: RE: Island Assault Mission
    [​IMG]
    We use an armed island for many of our battles. It is 2 inch pink foam with a thin board sheet on top of the foam. The small hills are great stuff foam covered with fiberglass then painted. The trees are railroad stuff and the tanks are 1/72 scale. The center is a module that drops into a square hole in the island, the module has an on board compressor and twin 1/4" rotating and elevating cannon that is controlled from shore. the module is stored in a large tote and the main island foam board is really light and can be tied to a car top or the side of a trailer. We made two like the one pictured and have two other smaller islands that have 4 foot mine strings.
    RiverRaider

12. bismarck

bismarck New Member

we have several gun platforms for islands, they have a switch/switchs, that allow for gates to open and "sink" the island the island in question is a floating dock, basicaly if your harbor is sunk you cant resupply. also others have shut off vlaves conected to the airlines of the guns, hit the target turn off the gun.

13. Ebaneser

Ebaneser New Member

Cool! Imagine having something like an airbase on the island to launch scale planes. Sure the enemy ships would have to be facing the island but it would be awesome and taking out something like the conning tower might give bonus points. :)

14. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Ebaneser, you might want to look at the dates on some of these threads you're replying to. The last post in this thread, for example, is five years old. The original posters may no longer be around on the system, or the direction of things could have considerably changed in the last five years.