ISO Iowa Class Plans

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by BearAtSea, Mar 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BearAtSea

BearAtSea New Member

I'm looking to build a 1/144 scale Iowa Class (BB-61 through BB-64) I've got a set of the Booklet of General Plans for the U.S.S Missouri and was going to try and work from them.

But I've been recommended the Ed Wiswesser plans available from Strike Models. I've also been recommended Floating Drydock, however they do not seem to carry a set in 1/144.

I cant seem to find anything about these Ed Wiswesser plans. I can't find digital copies of anything other than the Booklet of General Plans.

Can anyone provide feedback or information about the available pre-printed plans from Strike Models or further information on digital copies of RC model plans for an Iowa Class hull?

Thank you.

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Are you looking to build for scale (nice looking) or combat? Are you using a fiberglass hull or will you be making one from wood?

I used the BGP from the resources section on this site and scaled them up to 1/144 at staples (required me showing the employees how to do it).

If you are building for combat with a fiberglass hull:

I have the plans from Strike, I would recommend sticking with the BGP since I think the Wiswesser plans have a few errors with the bottom of the superstructure, and they don't offer much over the BGP drawings. The length of the ship is also slightly off, but within combat tolerance. This is my best recollection

If you are building for scale, go with floating drydock and rescale them at Staples or similar

absolutek likes this.
  3. BearAtSea

BearAtSea New Member

It's an experimental build, not for combat, not following a rule set. It's being made out of expanded PVC.

Iowa class was chosen to accommodate size required and because I like the hull design.

I've been provided some fantastic digital resources by another member that expanded on the general plans I had.

4. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I know there are sets of builders plans that were available for purchase in 1/72 scale. But that is huge. And on my build list. Lol. Someday I will get those plans and build one. But it will be scaled down most likely to 1/96 as that size is a bit more manageable. Though just barely. Lol. Good luck on your project and keep is posted.