Jack's First Build Moltke from Strike Models

Discussion in 'Construction' started by jackpkt, Jun 23, 2016.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

you can place the 18 1/4" ribs anywhere you want on each side, spacing is not required to be even, but you are required to have a minimum gap between ribs

other thing i'd note - I think you're planning to cut too far down on many of the windows. you need to find the waterline (float it in your tub with the right amount of weight if it fits, otherwise find a pool, pond or basin or something) so you can mark the bottom of the windows where they should be. If you cut too far down you're just giving away occasional points, making water channeling harder to do, and making sheeting harder.

Your hard area from the upper edge of the hull to the upper edge of the window should be 3/8"

Moltke also is eligible for an armor belt stringer fore and aft (look at your plans and some photos)

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I suppose you could say there are two ways to layout the ribs... equally spaced or combat optimized. Equally spaced... no explanation needed.

Combat Optimized - for example on the VDT hull I cut.. I started by laying out the hull with ribs equally spaced using tape. Then moved ribs around to provide better protection in the bow, maybe an extra under the haymaker, another under the bow side-mount, then respace the remaining ribs. I then look at it to see if any panels are too large and then adjust as needed.

This is the type of thing that a Veteran like Mark Roe would be able to provide valuable advice in person. I will drop Kas/Mark a line to get in contact with you.

You would need to plan your gun layout first to determine where the ribs will go.. etc.

Waiting for a little while until you can meet with the local group will save you tons of time and headaches with your rookie build.

See ya

J

GregMcFadden likes this.
  3. jackpkt

jackpkt Member

Thanks They are having an outing later next month. I will plan to bring my hull and plans and try and lay it out with them in person. Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the optimization which makes a lot of sense when you think about it, but I just didn't think of it. Good advice and thanks

4. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Yes,
    AND
    The windows are smaller and more ribs gives slightly less penetrable area. ;)
    AND
    better protection from the inevitable ram.

How are you planning on setting up the boat (gun position). Moltke is a 4 unit ship so you get 3 guns and a pump. Moltke is somewhat unique in that it is one of the few ships that sets up well with two aft sidemounts. If you chose this.
    Moltke guns1.jpg
    then yes simply put a rib in all the spaces except the bow.
    Hull full2.jpg
    If you chose a bow gun. I would put an extra rib in the front where you are more vulnerable, and leave the stern the way you had it.
    Moltke guns2.jpg
    Hull full1.jpg

5. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club!
    I am in Grand Rapids and i am usually site host at Saranac.
    Mark lives in Clawsen (very close to you)
    He is a GREAT technical source
    What is your E-mail?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Yes pretty much double the number of ribs cut the windows in half. You are using 1/4" ribs right? I had a moltke, it looks like your windows are too deep, down from the top of the hull. Have you put the max weight in it and floated it yet? Mine was real close to max weight, still moved around just fine.
    You also have some cutting to do for the bow and stern casements and the midship casement lines. There are several stringers in there. I'll see if I can find some pics of mine.

7. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The best set up for this ship is too stern sidemounts. Then either a stern gun or bow gun in the wing turret. Stern sidmounts rule the waves.

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

This is the only photo of my ship I can find. Maybe Brandon can send some better ones.

Attached Files:

9. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Bob, did the stern gun hit the sidemount barrel with that setup?

10. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

Glad to see I'm not the only new guy in the group! Axis will need a handicap with two green captains though haha!

Make sure the top of your hull is flat. If you look at my build thread, the top was cut with a jigsaw by a blind man. This will make all your measurements wrong going from plans.

Put the hull flat on the table and measure up from the table to the top line of the hull. Compare that measurement to the plans.

Also a great idea in my Lutzow thread, use the 45* angle of a speed square to find the bottom angle of where youre allowed to cut your bottom windows higher.

11. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

This picture is from the 2nd year I used it. The first year the sidemount layout was flipped. The first year the stern gun was hitting the higher haymaker barrel. I was not happy with the variety of locations I had the stern gun. So I changed the layout for year two. Once again the stern gun shot the sidemount on that side, sometimes. You can see the fake barrel I installed to protect the gun barrel. I was never really happy with the stern gun, had a hard time getting it to hit in the same spot all the time. Felt like I was a two guns ship. If I didn't sell it I was going to install a gun in the other wing turret as a bow gun.

12. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Here's a current pic. I moved the sidemount and stern gun slightly for better clearance. With the first Moltke I also experienced problems getting the stern gun on target as it was out at about 12 degs and didn't hit reliably. Hopefully this will be better.
    [​IMG]

13. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

When I had it off sent and down angled I found that the target area was all over the place. any little wave or list moved where my target would get hit substantially. Strait off like Brandon has it now is the best choice. I'd prefer in the inboard side of the turret but there's just not clearance over the stern sidemount.

14. pigeonfarmboy

If you decide to wait til Saranac before cutting, make sure you weight up the hull and mark the waterline or bring the weights and do it up there.

15. jackpkt

jackpkt Member

Thanks for all the great info guys. I am back home after a much needed vacation and plan to get started in on the build again. Focusing on some of the electronics and superstructure, as I wait for more hands on help from folks, and the Saranac lake event, which I hope to attend. I bought a 1/700 model to use as reference I just received so will be building that this weekend, I am a visual person and that will add to the plans I got from Strike to help me build the superstructure and detail out the boat (I cant help it its the scale modeler in me.)

16. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

dont know about the plans Strike has, but I know photos have been a huge help for me in deciphering the superstructure elements for my Goeben build.

17. jackpkt

jackpkt Member

So I had a nice Meeting with Capitan Mike Roe with my Moltke and we decided on a plan forward for the windows and I will be cutting those out in the next two weeks. Sanding, and layout first, and have to potential layouts to chose from regarding the castment gun deck. Will post updated layout pics once I get that done, hopefully next weekend. Thanks again for all the help.

18. pigeonfarmboy

Mike Rowe is the dirty jobs guy. Mark Roe is probably who you talked with haha!

19. jackpkt

jackpkt Member

LOL Yes Mark Roe. I have been trying hard not to say Mike and there I went and typed it. Oh well

Panzer, rcaircraftnut and WillCover like this.
  20. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Roe Roe Roe Mark Roe
    In his VDT
    Fill his ship full of holes
    Watch him sink
    Hee hee