Java/Sumatra CL Hull Project

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Bob Pottle, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

My build list is full for a while, but I would recommend adding some depth to improve capability upside. It’s easier to subtract than it is to add after the fact if someone wants scale. There is also a shift towards adding triples or quad half units to the small ships, so more hull volume is desired on the pond

Bob Pottle, Lou and buttsakauf like this.
  2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of that though I'd always planned to use multiple 1/2 unit cannons in the Krasni Krim. I'll add extra depth to the hull below the waterline, though that will change the stern shape significantly. Unmodified it's quite shallow and has little penetrable area below the waterline until it gets forward to the prop shafts.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    froggyfrenchman likes this.
  3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

buttsakauf likes this.
  4. Bob Pottle

I've got the Profile Morskie plans in 1/144 and am almost ready to cut out the frames and keel for the Java plug; the hull lines have been modified to be 1/4" deeper than scale. The start has been delayed because I increased my work hours again to help with the large caseload at work. I'm almost back to full-time, which will slow down construction considerably. When I made the Hawkins plug in 4 weeks last summer I was working only 2 days per week.

5. Bob Pottle

No progress since December, except for cutting out the hull cross-sections in paper in February. The local hobby shop and Micheals have both been out of 1/4" basswood for a long time; that's what I glue the cross-sections and keel profile to before cutting them out and assembling the plug frame. Gonna check with Michaels again this week. Cutting work back to 3 days per week so I can do a fairly fast build of the Java plug once I have the basswood.

Nisshin is still 2nd on the list, but I need basswood for it too.

Kevin P. likes this.
  6. Bob Pottle

I've finally got some 1/4" basswood for the hull plug framework - it was OOS at the hobby store and Michael's for months. I need to build and take a mold from the Java plug within the next 8 weeks before the weather gets too cold. It's do-able because the hull is so small.

buttsakauf likes this.