Java/Sumatra Dutch Light Cruiser Hull

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Pottle, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I've ordered the Profile Morskie plans for Java, probably the Class 2 (2.5 unit) model with the best combat potential (with the Soviet Profintern a close second). Java has 3 prop shafts, is the shortest 2.5 unit CL and has good BB cannon positions.

Assuming the plan arrives as soon as advertised (which was not my past experience with PM) I can finish the mold by mid-October.

I'm currently making a hull plug for the Hawkins Class heavy cruisers; it's taken just 7 days to complete the wooden framework. Java is much smaller and has simpler hull lines so should be a faster build.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Sethie, buttsakauf, Lou and 1 other person like this.
  2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Woohoo! I can’t wait to see it! I know it been on your radar for a while.

3. Bob Pottle

There's a different company (Black Dragon) selling and shipping the PM plans now; hopefully things go more smoothly this time and I get the plans in a couple of weeks instead of 2 months. In 2 weeks the Hawkins hull plug should be nearing completion and I can start on Java's immediately.

4. Bob Pottle

The PM plans didn't arrive until yesterday (after 7.5 weeks), too late to make the plug and mold it before cold weather arrives.

Hull plug construction will start in early November and should take about a month, but I won't be able to make the mold until late March or early April, weather permitting.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  5. Bob Pottle

I'm having the PM plans copied tomorrow so I can work on revising the hull and cross-sections by deepening the hull slightly. I deepened the Profintern hull 3/8" but that much would change the bow and stern lines of Java significantly and provide too much extra displacement. I'm going to try 1/4" instead - I think that'll give nearly 1 lb more displacement, which is the max allowed for this hull.

6. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Lol, that optimism of the plans arriving in a timely manner was quickly dispatched behind a shed with a Tokarev.

we're in week #4 for the plans I ordered as of today.

7. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

I thought class 2 and below got 25% or 1 lb whichever is greater.
    Randy

8. Bob Pottle

You're right. I was thinking of 1 lb or 10% for Class 3. 25% for Java would give it 1.9 lbs extra displacement, but to deepen the hull that much would alter the bow and stern lines far more than I want to. The base displacement of 7.6 lbs plus an extra 1 lb should be enough for most people to build it.

9. Bob Pottle

I should have the lines for the deepened hull finished by tomorrow and plan to start building the hull plug next week.

buttsakauf likes this.