Jean Bart The Third (IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by bsgkid117, Aug 9, 2023.

1. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

I'm planning on doing a similar wiring segregation in Idaho.

@bsgkid117 any recommendations for receiver batts?

Also, what are the servos powered by in that situation, the receiver batt only?

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I own 4 of these and plan on buying more: https://a.co/d/jlXxibK

The servo can accept up to 16v, and it comes with an adapter wiring harness to bypass the RX power bus: RX Bypass Adapter - Wiring & Wiring Accessories (holmeshobbies.com)

From there I use one of these inline power taps: https://a.co/d/6t1QMBh between a 3s main power battery and another component like a drive ESC or in JB3's case most likely the gun boards.

3. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Some B3 updates:

Its super easy to leapfrog build progress when using some of these components I have chosen to use. A lot of the really time consuming parts of a build are done right off the bat with a 3d printed hull + 3d printed cartridge cannons. The boat is easily 90% finished and could be done in a single day of concentrated effort if I wasn't busy with SJS stuff.

Short little gif showing off the absurd amount of magnet force on the forward gun deck:

MOVIE.gif

This is ideal on this boat for two reasons. First, it allows for an RTV gasket between deck and boat to really seal the deck. Second, it ensures that the magnetic wiring connector will not be jarred out of position or anything like that in service.

The middle deck is stepped up and is kept in place by 5 magnets and the small wing 4" secondary turret mounts which serve as turn latches. The stern deck, which steps back down to the height of the lowest part of the bow deck, is secured using 4-40 heat set inserts in the hull and 4-40 stainless steel knurled thumb screws. The stern deck only exists to allow overhead access to the steering gear and as such should almost never need to come off. This mechanical retention of mid and stern decks allows for good gasket compression and deck sealing.

Starting with Indiana, after @Kevin P. 's research showing the effectiveness of extreme deck seal and how powerful it can be, I have started smoke testing my boats to ensure almost air-tightness. That is why B3 has all of this deck seal effort thrown at her.

Another gif showing off the foam penetration power of the dual sidemounts:

MOVIE (1).gif

Pics of the gun aiming/mounting (the boat gets used as a table for fulfilling orders sometimes...hence the props and such on the deck):

PXL_20231229_160645080.jpg PXL_20231229_160739677.ACTION_PAN-02.ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    notSoGnarly and Beaver like this.
  4. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

lol I think that's the exact number of props and sprockets I just recently ordered sitting on the deck

bsgkid117 likes this.
  5. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

JB3 picture dump update.

45 degree outlet pump designed for this boat, if it works out in service will be available as an SJS pump option

JB5.jpg

Did some hull modifications to move the 2nd pump farther aft:

JB3.jpg
    JB4.jpg

Showing off bow deck seal area

JB2.jpg

Main hatch internals are starting to find their homes:

JB1.jpg

And the float system:

JBFloat.gif

6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

More work completed. Did a full system power up check and it didn't catch on fire, so score there.

PXL_20240208_164849337.jpg

Still need to secure gun pins to boat, had the stainless steel lure leaders picked up by the Director of Naval Finance while she was at the store.

Full combat load weight seems to be pretty light, lots of room for ballasting/adjusting/missing superstructure bits (little foamy turrets EVERYWHERE):

PXL_20240208_203436239.jpg

My weekend to-do list:

Program ESCs
    Finish gas system routing + full gas system leak down test
    Finish painting it (threw red on it last night real quick)
    Secure gun pins to decks
    Think about designing/beginning fabrication of the BartCart

7. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

Bow looks big and yummy bring extra silkspan! Those duals look deadly going to be a sharp boat with paint on it.

8. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Just passed full system check + air pressure check. Played with the adjustments on the auto pump switches to get them cycling kinda how I want. Won't know for sure until it's been in battle a bit.

Starting fabbing the BartCart but gave up after I had finished the bottom frame. Just not enough time and energy between now and Thursday at 6AM. I'll have it for the next battle. Can probably use it as-is as a carrying board for the boat, at the least.

Going with a paint job that's inspired by Richelieu's service in WW2:

RichyAdmiraltyPaint.png

this is a crude Shipbucket ms paint coloring to get the idea on Bart:

Bart3Paintjob.png

And in reality:

PXL_20240211_195028083.jpg

Obviously need to adjust once it's been floated and I find the actual waterline. That'll be a Georgia Friday early AM problem. She's also missing basically all of her various little directors and guns, that's because @bkoehler is casting them all out of his lightweight Grey Wolf Squadron gummy foam material for me. That'll probably be a Friday PM addition.

Will hopefully report back during/after the battle with some pics/vids and hopefully nothing but good news.