Kevin's HMS Malaya (SJS/IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Kevin P., Feb 26, 2024.

1. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Putting together a build thread for the SJS QE prototype hull. Will has said I should throw the hull away since there have been design improvements since this version, but I’ll be building it out as-is

It came with some test fit shafts that I’ll adapt to make work.

IMG_2297.jpeg
    It was coated with a layer of cloth on the bottom, so first step was cleaning it up with a dremel which is a bit nerve wracking on a plastic hull but turned out fine
    IMG_2298.jpeg
    test fitting a few components
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    I’ll need to figure out pump tube routing
    IMG_2300.jpeg
    I’ll use the cheap kort props I picked up on eBay a while ago. They’ll need to be shaved down a bit to fit
    IMG_2301.jpeg
    Printed out rudders
    IMG_2326.jpeg
    Put the heat sets and the motor plates in. Kinda a pain with the cross brace, on future plastic boats I would install them before assembling the hull
    IMG_2327.jpeg
    printed out a turret form. Gun layout will be death Y with two bow guns in B turret, dummy barrels in A
    IMG_2328.jpeg
    I cut up sleeves for the rudder post. I typically drill rudder post to 5/32, but these go out to 9/32 I guess for folks that want a thicker rudder shaft
    IMG_2329.jpeg
    prop holder to drill out the bore hole to 5mm
    IMG_2330.jpeg
    it has a top face that screws down, then I clamp into drill press. I’m planning to mount the props on a shaft that I can put in the lathe. Might be a disaster, but we’ll see.

I’ll be printing out more turrets this week and start drawing up the barbettes. Also hope to glue the shafts in and rudder post

Lou, vicious p, Panzer and 3 others like this.
  2. Nomercy

Nomercy Well-Known Member

I have not been able to turn down props on the lathe

RandomBic likes this.
  3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

More or less same results as Nomercy. Only time I had any non horrible result with cutting a prop on the lathe was one I made that had an extended hub specifically so I could chuck it up in the lathe. That wasn't worth it.

I have had good results grinding down a prop if you don't need large diameter changes. You can do it on a lathe but a drill is easy enough too. Chuck it up and spin it against some sandpaper till you get it to the correct size.

Nomercy likes this.
  4. Kevin P.

The first prop came out surprisingly well. I was doubtful it would work, and I’ve use Dremel method and drill-Dremel combo in the past, but since I have a lathe now might as well try it

here’s the drilling jig to bore the prop out to 5mm
    IMG_2332.jpeg
    I fastened the prop to a 2” piece of 5mm rod for this exercise

Here’s the first prop after cutting. Shavings need to be trimmed but went from 1.7” to 1.55” in about 5 minutes, taking around 0.005” off per pass
    IMG_2333.jpeg
    I might be able to get rudder tubes and shafts in tomorrow pending how much time I can allocate

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

that looks remarkably similar to my lathe!

6. Kevin P.

I went with the green brand lathe and have been very happy so far.

prop 2 came out well, they were both cut from 1.7ish to 1.5 diameter based on gap between the shaft and hull. Once I get both shafts to size I’ll double check the fit before removing them from the short shafts
    IMG_2338.jpeg
    here is a comparison to an uncut prop
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    I also printed up rudder gears, adapting wills standard gears a bit for my preferences. I sink the servo arm in a lot further, which gives less vertical height (more clearance or ability to move servo further aft) and less moment on the servo spline. I also sink a collar into the rudder gear vice going the heat set route. Finally I went from 0.5” to 0.375” in height
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    alignment in the stern. The rudder gears are very close to the inside of the stringer which may be interesting for internal armor
    IMG_2335.jpeg

7. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

That's how I matched up some cast props back in the depths of time. Chucked em up in the drill press and used a sanding belt until all 3 matched in diameter.

8. Kevin P.

Some recent progress
    Stuffing tubes cut down
    IMG_2339.jpeg
    barbs all printed
    IMG_2342.jpeg
    rudder and rudder post sleeves
    IMG_2344.jpeg
    sleeves glued together
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    Stuffing tubes in, larger gap between props than to the hull
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    gap to hull, which limits prop diameter
    IMG_2347.jpeg
    Overhead of spacing
    IMG_2348.jpeg
    installing rudder post tubes with e6000
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2350.jpeg
    Shafts could be toed in a bit more, still decent gap with longer shafts
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    One shaft was short, so I made a sleeve to push the prop aft about 3/16.” I was rushing cutting the other shaft and forgot the first was too shorts, so I made another brass sleeve
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    next step will be gluing barbs to deck

Beaver likes this.
  9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I move that we officially refer to barbettes as "barbies" from here on out

10. Kevin P.

Maybe in the Australian way, like throw some shrimp on the Barbie

these Barbie’s are drying, rushed epoxy job as the baby was waking up.

I decided to go with split 15 degree bow guns for more trigger pulls and the challenge of getting dual bow guns to hit together. We shall see. Deck is very narrow here, I broke it in half yesterday pulling an old barb out. Hard to alight the barbs exactly, they are printed for 15 degrees, clamped to a board to keep piece flat and limit rotation potential while drying
    IMG_2361.jpeg
    Aft will be death Y
    IMG_2362.jpeg

Beaver likes this.
  11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Your wish is my command

Screenshot 2024-03-16 161305.png

Malaya is an older kit, I'm sure I had a reason why it was that way originally but it takes minimal effort to optimize it for future kit owners.

(Existing kit owners can always update their ship by replacing the last 2 sections with these newer ones, if desired)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  12. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

So in the bow you are putting a gun in A and B? My build is stalled as I could not get down angle on duals in B and I was watching your build to see how you could accomplish it.
    Keep up the good work!

13. Kevin P.

Yes, I was going to do duals in B, I even printed the turrets that way, but decided to shift to 1 gun in A and 1 in B when I made the barbs. This will cover both sides off the bow and allow better down angle for each than having both in A or B

here are pics with barbs dried. The aft one I typically put closer to 90 degrees, but I didn’t remember until just now so the ship has sailed
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    turrets
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    bow
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    with turret
    IMG_2369.jpeg
    and B, looks like it will be limited by A turret a bit
    IMG_2370.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
    Showing underside with flange. The bow opening is very narrow so the outboards need to be flush with bottom of deck
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2373.jpeg
    Today I put a layer of fiberglass cloth around the barbs to promote longevity, as they are integral to the deck piece and can receive a pounding, especially aft
    IMG_2374.jpeg
    the cloth sticks on quite easily which is nice, don’t need anything else to hold it in place
    IMG_2375.jpeg

vicious p, Beaver and bsgkid117 like this.
  14. Kevin P.

Dummy shafts added
    IMG_2377.jpeg
    bilge keels CA-Ed on, will fiberglass next.
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    barbs with the excess cloth cut off
    IMG_2379.jpeg

15. Kevin P.

Bottom layer of glass added this morning
    IMG_2380.jpeg
    hopefully I can get the upper layers done this week as well

Panzer likes this.
  16. Kevin P.

Bilge keels are done pending final seal coat on the wood once I have another epoxy batch to piggyback on
    IMG_2381.jpeg
    IMG_2383.jpeg
    Trimmed to 3/8”
    IMG_2384.jpeg
    IMG_2386.jpeg

also attached props to shafts. Just alignment fit here
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2387.jpeg
    Next steps are probably pump mount and tube outlet, starting guns, and deck fasteners

Evan Fowler, Boatmeister and Beaver like this.
  17. Kevin P.

Pump outlet tube
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    There is an equivalent hole modeled in the current design, starboard side
    IMG_2389.jpeg
    mangle is a bit high but limited options with the casement layout
    IMG_2390.jpeg
    Taped up to epoxy from below
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    filled in
    IMG_2392.jpeg
    goal is to reseal the hull, may or may not work out
    IMG_2393.jpeg
    IMG_2394.jpeg
    also put together 3 of 4 gun elbows
    Tried a new method to allow a 90 degree fitting to attach to back of T. I soldered a 1/16” plate on the back to give extra room for threads
    IMG_2395.jpeg
    hose routing will be tight with the placement of the elbow in the barbette, but I can easily shift to straight tubing in if needed
    Working on motor shields and gearbox covers, will have them printed tomorrow

18. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Kevin P. likes this.
  19. Kevin P.

Outcome of epoxy job
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2397.jpeg
    Cut it down and trimmed deck
    IMG_2398.jpeg
    IMG_2399.jpeg
    With the pump tube, I may add a tie down on the deck rim to keep the stream level
    IMG_2400.jpeg
    started fitting up guns and solenoids. Trying the direct mount style for this build (for now)
    IMG_2401.jpeg
    Plan is to have the mags stay straight and go under the cross member, which will be a tight fit. It would be a challenge to twist the mags to keep them just under the aft deck
    IMG_2402.jpeg
    I also printed the gearbox covers and some motor shields for the outrunner drive motors
    IMG_2403.jpeg
    Testing out pump position, should work here. Waterchannel is very minimal which will be interesting to see how she does with damage. I’ll plan for my start pump mount of two through-hull posts to align with the pump shield holes
    IMG_2404.jpeg
    goal for this week is to test out a prototype of the gun/solenoid combo to ensure my setup will work, also starting gun barrels, deck hold downs, the pump mount posts (quick jobs I can knock out early morning before work)

Justin Ragucci, Beaver and vicious p like this.
  20. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

The waterchanneling on the actual production hulls is much better, but still is left as a best suggestion kind of solution. I fully expect some to pour additional foam or resin waterchannel material. But if others don't, they'll probably be fine.