KGV Build Help

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by LOTRgeek, Nov 14, 2016.

1. LOTRgeek

LOTRgeek Member

Should I attach the deck to the hull before or after cutting out the ribs?

2. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

Different schools of thought on that one. I believe it's easier to get better access to the underside of the subdeck when affixing that to the hull.

3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I cut the hull out first. It makes it easier to epoxy the underside of the subdeck through the windows. Cutting the hull without a deck is slightly easier as well for any hard to reach areas. It would matter for boats with casements more since the cut off discs might not be large enough to cut all the way through the underside of the casement from the outside, sometimes requiring a cut from the inside. The remaining frame of the hull will be pretty flimsy until the deck goes in. Make sure to check the beam whenever you do put the deck in to make sure it is +/- 1/8" since most subdecks require some grinding to get down to size

4. LOTRgeek

LOTRgeek Member

I guess I'll cut out the hull first. Can you tell if it is ok from pictures or will I have to take it to the nearest club?

5. Kevin P.

looks pretty good. I calculated 16.8 3/8" wide ribs, so 16 is good enough. Bottom of windows looks about right, I usually cut my windows a little deep in case the waterline is off a bit. If you went off the exact waterline, add 1/8" at least for thickness of waterline, then 1 inch below that (I typically go 1 1/4" from the floating waterline, extra 1/8" for buffer). Deck rim 3/8", stringer 1/8," ribs 3/8." Id say cut it as is, you can always shave some things down later if need be

You should engage the nearest club regardless, they would give it a more detailed look and be able to answer your questions more efficiently

6. LOTRgeek

LOTRgeek Member

I think I will try to cut the ribs out this weekend or the one after. What should I wear while cutting fiberglass?

7. Kevin P.

I use a shop vac to directly catch all of the fiberglass dust, so I just wear dust mask, safety glasses, ear plugs, and muffs. Much cleaner that way

8. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Fiberglass dust can really make you itchy. I recommend long sleeves.

9. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM. Let's get this thing cut up to get you on the water!