King Edward VII - Fastgun

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Beaver, Oct 18, 2016.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I get 4 sorties out my 2100 mAhr pack in my Potemkin, I think 10,000 mAhrs is over kill if you need some more room.

Treaty allows the whole casemate area to be hard, that's why there is extra material in the kit. I'm closely watching your build since I plan to build my kit into a Duncan, which is even smaller. Keep up the good work.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I prefer to view it as a leveraging of available tools and maximizing time usage.

dietzer, Beaver and thegeek like this.
  3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Yes, I may be a little over-amped. I'll probably cut down the amps once I know what my pump draws. That will be the deciding factor.
    I figured this boat must have been originally assembled for Treaty by the casements. It sure would be nice if IRCWCC would allow the casements to be solid.
    Looking forward to your Duncan build. :)

4. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Amps in treaty might be very different than IRCWCC, I would keep the amps if I were you.

NickMyers likes this.
  5. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Don't count on casements being changed to solid, Johnny is just too much fun when he is talking about casements, that alone would keep them penetrable.

jadfer and NickMyers like this.
  6. NickMyers

With the change in scoring recently approved to increase the value of aboves relative to belows, and thus making triples more viable point collectors again... I wouldn't hold my breath on casemates becoming solid.

7. NickMyers

^-- this. treaty's volumetric restricted pumps allows MUCH lower power usage numbers than our orifice restrictors for an equivalent output.

If you can fit the batteries and spare the weight, I would keep em in.

8. Beaver

These past few nights I haven't been motivated to actually work on the boat itself, but that didn't keep me from hacking out the beginnings of the superstructure. I love 3D printing. :D
    [​IMG]

NickMyers likes this.
  9. Beaver

So now that I know where I want my batteries I decided to put a slight recess into the waterchannel to hold them.
    So the batteries were put in their designated place and then traced.
    DSCN3691[1].JPG
    Using a Dremel, all the hard wood is ground away.
    DSCN3694[1].JPG
    Then the balsa is ground away until the batteries fit nice and snug.
    DSCN3698[1].JPG

Maxspin, rcengr and Tugboat like this.
  10. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

I am planning on something similar for the Nassau.

11. NickMyers

just skip to solar panels. the salmon huggers will soon ban us from having batteries on the water probably

12. Beaver

Solenoids are ordered. More progress to come soon.

13. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Where's the Pic?

14. Beaver

King Edward VII Superstructure 2.png
    Can you see it now?

Xanthar likes this.
  15. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

2 things:
    1) The SS looks amazing! But make the walls thicker. Neat trick, make the base like 6mm thick, and thin it down to like 3mm at the top, it'll be more resilient but still look thin from 10 feet.
    2) For battery use purposes... My Evstafi runs a standard BC pump (but with a 1/2 unit outlet), and I run a 2200mAH 2S lipo, replacing after each sortie. I had an 8AH lipo in it, but wanted more room. The 8AH was good for all morning. Amps charged back into the 2200mAH lipos after a sortie rarely exceed 1200mA. I kept the batteries at 2200 because it's good to have the extra capacity. Changing every sortie wasn't a big deal because the battery sits right next to the CO2 bottle that has to be pulled every sortie anyway. Also, if you ever go to an away battle and forget a battery, the 2200's are WAAAY easier to find in stores than the bigger ones. Also, if you run cruisers, they're a good size for those, too, so you don't need several different sizes. (I was standardized on the 8AH batteries for a while, but they're more spendy and the other reasons I gave above :) )

I can't wait to see your KE on the water!

Beaver likes this.
  17. Beaver

And the work continues! I'd like to have this boat done before the end of the summer so I'm getting what stuff done that I can so when it gets warm outside I can finish up parts that require epoxying and such.
    So, the solenoids arrived and I've figured out where I want them in the boat. For gun arraignment, I'm going with dual bow guns angle 15 degrees to port and a stern sidemount off to starboard. So that would be two solenoids in the bow and one it the stern, right? Well, simple to figure out, a little harder to fit though.
    Anyway, the solenoids for the bow guns will be placed in the forward part of the bow in front of the guns. I made a little holder that the solenoids snap into.
    IMG_7617.JPG
    Oh yeah, life is just too short to be wasted filing wood away...
    IMG_7619.JPG
    Bottle mount is cut out of 1/8" ply. Nothing new or exciting there. :)
    IMG_7620.JPG

The pump has been appropriated its spot. A mount to keep it there is in the works. The motors will be zip-tied to 3D printed mounts. I'll be using tubing for a universal joint. The sidemount solenoid is in its approximate position. A mount for it is also in the works.
    IMG_7622.JPG
    So, as you can see nothing really significant has been done. I've been mostly doing small stuff that would otherwise have to be done later. But, as soon as the weather warms you should see more work being done. I really want to finish this boat this year, so I'm determined it will happen. :)

18. NickMyers

bhuahhahahahahha :D

Beaver likes this.
  19. Beaver

Solenoids get leads.
    DSC_0005.JPG

20. Beaver

Just wired up and tested my first Pololu firing switch. I'm very happy with it. Fires so much faster than the Turnigy switches I have used before.

https://www.pololu.com/product/2802