King's Bay

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Kotori87, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hey, folks. An opportunity has arisen where I may be stationed in King's Bay, GA for a few months. It sounds like a great opportunity to work on a real submarine base, instead of standing watch in the Rickover center asking people if they have cell phones for 2-6 months. They also said they'd put us through the fire and flooding trainers there, so I volunteered on the spot.
    What should I know about King's Bay before I move there? Clark, Mike, have either of you been stationed there?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Pulled in there a couple of times. Tiny little exchange (relative to Groton, Norfolk, Naples, and other bases I've been to) but the accommodations are supposed to be very nice. No room in the inn at prototype?

3. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

With the planned and unplanned shutdowns at the two prototype sites, power school graduates must wait from 2-10 months before classing up for prototype. I don't think anyone classes up directly. One of my current classmates who was on medical hold knows a couple Staff Pick-Ups from her A-school class. I had a 4 month hold, 2 in South Carolina and 2 in New York. Kotori, do you have any idea what work you'll be doing on the base? Tugboat, I like your avatar.

4. Tugboat

Thanks, I think it suits me :) Plus, I love Girl Genius :) But I definately identify with Othar waaayy too much. And how can one NOT look up to the man? Even with the Great Wall of Norway debacle, he is still great :)

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I'll be doing clerical work and/or standing basic watches around base. Watch is reportedly once every few days and the accommodations are great. But it does require moving down to Georgia, so a lot of people are uninterested. The only reason I even heard about it is because my section leader has friends down there.
    edit: just checked google maps. I see plenty of ponds, and even a few lakes. Hopefully there won't be any disgruntled old master-at-arms going "hey kid, get off of my pond!"

6. Tugboat

If you're here in January, we'll be doing a little nonsanctioned match in Statesboro.