kit being converted for 3d printing...

Discussion in 'SMS Deutschland Kit Related' started by GregMcFadden, Oct 13, 2021.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Just a bit of a tease here so far..... after running the D for a while, and wanting another (my son loves running it, seems to be a really good beginner ship), it seems like it may be a good idea to convert the kit to a 3d printed variant. image below is a test print to verify some critical internal geometric constraints, as the plan is for large print parts at about 9 inches in length for each segment (give or take a bit), so 4 major print jobs for the hull itself at about 24 hours each to print. The two mid section prints will be bonded permanently together, but the plan right now is for the bow/stern to be bolts+E6000 initially, to enable easy swapping of water channel and central parts with the bulk of the contentious casemate locations. IMG_20211010_075053.jpg

upload_2021-10-13_23-32-12.png

2. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Are those buttresses for printing support or structural?

3. GregMcFadden

They are thin, to support more than one frame printing at one time. Not structural as intended but may end up beneficial as internal armor tieoff points

4. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

I'm loving my Nassau with fixed guns. Seems like everything works all the time and with very little drama!

These little ships are fun and easy to run.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  5. Devasen

Devasen Active Member

Are the chamfers at the aft edge of the penetration windows going to be build legal? Great idea to reduce support structure in 3d printing, but I'm not sure it will be supported(no-pun intended) by the wider community as it does reduce the ability for a complete penetration in that small area. I guess to be fair, it also increases the risk of a "double whammy", when the BB penetrates slightly forward of this point and ricochets off the chamfer to produce an exit wound. All thoughts appreciated as it will influence my ongoing design and 3d printing of ships.
    window pen.jpg

6. GregMcFadden

I'd planned to test that a bit. Longer term I plan to air gap the support so that those parts snap off after the print is done, right now, let them go for first proto and see how much worse the holes there are. Casemates are a bigger problem

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Casemates are a huge problem. I was never able to get the 100% historically-accurate casemates sealed against water intrusion, and they were a pain in the butt to sheet. Given how often I need to resheet my pair of Deutschlands, that's a significant consideration. Would it be possible to get a version with smooth sides and no casemates? Actually, would you be interested in more detailed/specific feedback? Gascan and I used our Deutschlands as our main ships for three years, including two Nats. We've done a number of refits and tweaks to our ships along the way, some good and some not so much. I would be very interested in doing a new and improved version incorporating all of the lessons learned.

Lord Haw Haw likes this.
  8. GregMcFadden

Always interested in feedback. The casemates are a pain for this (and many ships) particularly due to the pedestals. I was actually planning to split up the casemate region so that this part of the hull is printed separate, and it could be basically a "choose your own adventure" between not having the casemates at all (wasn't planing to go full slab sided, just skipping the casemates, but it is possible)

I have already addressed a few of the areas with sheeting issues by relocating stringers to better locations, and rearranging ribs to allow better stringer end position for easier sheeting. I've also solidified previously open area that was past the 45 degree down angle, which will help a lot with stern sheeting.

Lord Haw Haw likes this.
  9. GregMcFadden

much easier layout with the motor moved a full frame towards the stern, along with the pump moved another frame back. 5oz standard tank fits better. Pump sits lower in its own little home. custom pump housing intended specifically for this hull is being worked up at the same time (frankly, if you can print this, you can manage a pump). Vastly improved water channeling, standard battery slots for ROAR standard hard case sized battery packs (with room left for expansion/contraction as necessary, tempted to make them even bigger then sleeve them down to actual pack size to allow for variation)

upload_2021-10-21_23-13-19.png

upload_2021-10-21_23-14-33.png

10. GregMcFadden

upload_2021-10-27_23-8-41.png
    Hard case batteries relocated to better location , very very low in the hull. leaves room for tilted CO2 tank from 3 to 5oz in size. Picture has decks not shown. All of the bottom of the hull slopes towards the pump sump. trying to keep minimum fluid volume in hull for pump to function properly. Screen sections will be fit at key locations away from the pump inlet, to prevent clogging of pump inlet screen. still deciding if I will actually use screen or print in debris catchers into the various channels. probably separate parts initially. stern module is basically ready to print, just need to pop in a few more heat stake insert holes in critical points. Bow module will be bolted to center (initially until center is optimized) and will contain propulsion, steering, stern guns and stern gun solenoids (probably) in the module. Bow module will print in several parts due to length and will end at the 6th rib from the bow. Bow module will follow same pattern as sterna nd will contain bow gun and ancillary components

11. GregMcFadden

More test print sections. Major parts will be split up more than expected simply to keep print time per part reasonable.

Attached Files:

Xanthar likes this.
  12. GregMcFadden

Not really all that pleased with this method,. Too sensitive and prone to warped parts with abs. Need to think on it a bit....

Attached Files:

13. GregMcFadden

The joys of abs layer separation on big parts at sharp corners. Nothing some acetone and a clamp won't fix, but it does mean I need a few more added supports and some stress relieving knockouts. Well see how the rest of the part prints..... Maybe kick up nozzle temp a skosh or take sharp sections out and make them separate parts.... Half tempted to take out a section in the middle around the shaft to add flexibility to tolerate the shrink

Attached Files:

14. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Do you have a temperature-controlled enclosure? I have a heater with a temperature-controlled switch, it maintains my print enclosure at 120F while printing.

15. GregMcFadden

Enclosure, yes, active temp control no. This spool of abs is just particularly bad on warp. Printing the same parts on the old spool and no where near this amount. Means I need to tweak temperatures a bit for it.

16. GregMcFadden

Some more progress

Attached Files:

Lord Haw Haw and darkapollo like this.
  17. GregMcFadden

And first prototype is printed. Need to alter some of the support structures

Attached Files:

18. GregMcFadden

After some rather annoying Software induced delays (very annoying, lets just say that solidworks' new maker edition is anything but competent nor stable), and some offline discussions with current Deutschland kit owners, the second prototype will start printing tonight. Biggest single change is an experiment at an optional bow deck. Either plastic weld it in and make it solid, or snap it free. we'll see if it works as expected.

darkapollo likes this.
  19. GregMcFadden

well that wasn't as successful as I thought. I will be revising this design a bit....

20. GregMcFadden

Finally some progress. Printing delayed till printer can be repaired.

Attached Files:

Lord Haw Haw likes this.