LABOR DAY BATTLE

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Tugboat, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Still planning to be there. Needless to say things are in flux at the moment.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Shame about the Warrior, but there will be other opportunities to do that.

3. Anachronus

It's not going anywhere. The condo stayed dry in Katrina and this is not going to be as bad as that was.

4. Anachronus

I think that cutting a new subdeck and just epoxying a support for the topless rib to the bottom of that will suffice.

5. Tugboat

6. Tugboat

Good news! The current weather guesstimate for this weekend is: 89-90 degrees, 20% chance of rain with winds 2-4mph.

7. Anachronus

Sounds good.

8. Anachronus

Thanks to Isaac I will be missing this one. Have a blast.

9. Tugboat

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Tugboat

ARRRGGGHH! Having trouble with the solenoids on POW, sorry Allies, I will be Kapitan von Tugboat this weekend. Lil Scharnie rides again! And the rudder issue from Nats is corrected.

The Clippard Mouse valves that are the same type that I used on Baden, are not holding shut against 150# CO2. Which is odd, since they are rated to 180#. Doubly odd since they worked on Baden just fine.

I traded my Iowa hull to Frank Falango this afternoon. We haggled and he go a deck and subdeck for Iowa, and I got a Nagato hull and a Mike Mangus-built USS Omaha wood hull. If I keep sucking at battleships, I'll stick to cruisers :) Having Scharnie and Omaha will make it easy to switch for balance at local battles. But I have hope that I'll get POW operational before the next battle.

11. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

Mouse Valves are only rated for 105psi, you need Glasses! LOL. The only Solenoid that Clippard makes are the Maximatic which I have seen be very problematic.

Pressure Range Orifice Air Flow
    28” Hg Vac. to 105 psig 0.025” 0.6 scfm @ 100 psig
    +call for special configurations (17 l/min @ 7 bar)
    28” Hg Vac. to 50 psig 0.040” 0.5 scfm @ 50 psig
    (-L) (14 l/min @ 3.5 bar)
    28” Hg Vac. to 25 psig 0.060” 0.45 scfm @ 25 psig
    (-H) (13 l/min @ 1.8 bar)

12. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

The only valve rated for 150 psi is the Maximatic

13. Tugboat

Meant to say Maximatics, not mice.

14. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

The Maxi's require at least 7v to start to operate under 150 psi. 12v is best of course. My Richelieu uses the Maxi with a dedicated 12v battery pack to ensure they operate consistently with that pressure.

If you try to use 6v, they will give lots of problems.

15. Tugboat

The power being applied is 4S LiFe. Should be plenty. With them plumbed correctly, they shut when power is applied. With them plumbed incorrectly, they fart (which is what they should do when plumbed backwards). Brian and I are wondering if Clippard sent me normally-open valves by mistake.

16. Tugboat

We had 14 battlers here, some had problems but I think everyone got on the water. Some got under the water. Lil Scharnie performed flawlessly and I managed to arrange for Tim K's Cleveland to go dead in the water during the morning battle, at which point I felt bad that he might miss the action, so I brought the action to him :) He was visibly gladdened at my comeraderie :) In later sorties, my secret ninja squad failed to take out his controls, during which time he was frustratingly elusive. I took out my frustration on Stefan's I-boat and Brett's USS Indiana. Much love was shared. I didn't count the sinks but there were several in the morning, and several in the afternoon. None were Lil Scharnie. Brian Koehler was embracing his Germanic heritage with SMS Baden, which suffered a servo glitch in the afternoon, which jammed his MAG throttle full astern and Baden did backwards circles until it drove itself under. Don Coles' Iron Duke was nearby, machinegunning the survivors floating in the water. Typical Allied captain, ja? Bill Byrnes' VU sank at some point in the PM battle. Mike Mangus' HMS Erin has so many patches from Nats that it looks like it has leprosy, but didn't sink. Big surprise, that. The I-boat was running away int he PM battle, so I redecorated the Indiana. Most satisfactory. Wouldn't want the new guy thinking we didn't respect him enough to shoot him, right? A Nagato was sunk in the afternoon, but it was on the far end of the battle from me, much like Stefan's I-boat (who was hiding, no doubt, from my righteous fury). I think Frank's grandson sank in the PM battle, too. Tim's son Adam is getting pretty good in the Augusta, with Tim's coaching he is coming along well.

All in all, I was happy with Lil Scharnie. Ty's advice from Nats was implemented before the battle and now the rudder CAN'T travel far enough to lock sideways. So everything worked and it was great. Looking forward to sharing more love tomorrow.

17. Tugboat

It was a good battle weekend! Everyone had fun and got a little trophy for coming to the Regional :) I'll post a pic tonight. Had no fewer than 4 young people battling, and a first-timer driving a borrowed Indiana is going to be buying a Colorado hull to build! We also had a good confab on the state of brushless technology in our hobby.

18. Anachronus

Brushless? Are you mocking my historian hair?

:D

19. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

bah....Brushless is sooo 2012, 2013 is custom code.

Really the only reason for a veteran captain to use brushed motors at this point is that you already have a stock of them, brushless motors win hands down. Building a new ship or doing a major overhaul with brushed motors just isnt worth it. Better performance and less power draw at an affordable price.

20. Anachronus

So what brushless motors for a CAE? (two of them since its HMS Warrior).