LABOR DAY BATTLE

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Tugboat, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'll send you some links, J.

I did order some large-ish outrunners with 4mm shafts, and brass collars that fit, so I can make a manly 1-unit pump.

Everyone who was unhappy with my lack of sinkage at Nats will be thrilled to know that my pump clogged during one battle, and the combined efforts of Mike Mangus and 3 other friends put me down. I am certain that absent a clog, I would've made my 5. And I was 2 seconds slow at this battle, which meant Erin could catch me. Not saying that I didn't have fun, far from it :) I was happy to see so many boats on the water at once.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Good question you should build one and let us know. Buy some, do some testing and find out. It all depends on your setup. Prop size, prop type, voltage, desired speed, gears, direct drive, etc. I'd suggest starting with something around 1000kv and work up/down from there as necessary. It isn't hard it just takes a little effort, like all good things in life.

3. Tugboat

For pumps at 6V(and 7.2V), Mike and I have been using motors around 2100kv.

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Pumps are a little different since they are more universal across ships. Basically brushless lets you do one (or a mix) of two things.

1) Same output for less current.
    2) More output for the same current.

If you take option 1 current pump bodies and parts will work just fine. If you want to go with option 2 you need to start thinking about changing the pump itself to handle the higher loads depending on how much more output you're trying to achieve However the necessity of this and how much change is required is based off your initial pump design and what you're trying to achieve.

5. Tugboat

Pump design is already changed :) The full unit pump has been changed more. I'll e-mail you pics after the new one is all soldered up. I changed my impeller and my volute, and the outlet. Kept the 1/2" discharge tubing that I used in Lutzow's pump (all the way from the discharge to the restrictor) to minimize headloss.

Pic of the Labor Day Leadfest 2012 'trophy' :)
    [​IMG]
    Admittedly the flags aren't fitted well, but it was kind of a rush thing :)

6. Tugboat

Brian and I have decided that we're going to make trophies for showing up at the spring and fall regionals as added incentive :) This one is supposed to be a destroyer. We're still mooting about ideas for the Spring Regional aka The April Ambush 2013.

7. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Something that looks like the Monopoly "battleship" piece would be cool.