Large Battlers Connection Pump Size

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Cannonman, May 13, 2008.

1. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Does anyone have the outside Dimensions for the base and height on the large battlers connection bilge pump?

Is this pump acceptable for use in a Big Gun Iowa class??

I am finishing my design work, but need to know if the pump will fit in my water channel before I can Finalize it.

Any help/ advice anyone could provide would be grately appreciated!! Thanks!

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

A BC pump is NOT suitable for a Big Gun Iowa class. Way too much draw for the amount of pumping you get, because it's trying to cram all that water through a 1/8" ID hole. Big Gun pumps get more efficiency by using a larger ID outlet. Lower pressure but higher flow rate.

If you're not sure about size of water channel, just pick a number, say 1.5 or 2 inches inside-edge-to-inside-edge, and go with it. Much narrower than that and you might not fit, much wider than that and it takes a lot more water before the pump kicks on.

3. Cannonman

My last reply was eaten, so I'll repost it....

If the BC pump won't work, which do you recommend, or could the BC pump be modified to work better??

I currently have the channel designed at 1.50" wide, and I had planned to make a wider area in it somewhere to accomadate the pump, unless there is a reason that this would not work. I would rather plan for it now, than than try to cram it in later.[:D]

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

You don't have to use the 1/8" inch outlet that comes with the pump, you could always make one of your own outlets that is more suited to your needs, or use none at all. The 1/8" inch restrictor is what comes out the deck. 1/4" is what comes out of the pump. That being said, I couldn't say if it is suitable for big gun or not. You can always swap out the motor if that's the issue

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The BC pump has a 1/4" outlet? That's news to me. If that's the case, it would work pretty well. You'll just need a more efficient motor than a speed 500. I don't know about the power stats of speed 400, but the 365's are fairly efficient. Another possibility (nobody has tried this yet, that I know of) is the 500TB, or Tamiya Solar Motor 02. According to wreno, it's very efficient and powerful, so it could be well-suited for a bilge pump.

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Yes the I.D. of the outlet tube on the BC pump is 1/4 inch.

7. Cannonman

So would it be better to modify this pump to work, or just buy a different one??

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

The BC pump as is should work well, especially without an outlet size restriction.