latest computer radio: Open Source RC

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by Kotori87, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

http://www.os-rc.com/
    have you guys seen this? I'm not sure if it's a computer built into a radio, or a radio built into a computer. Either way, it's amazing. The potential for Big Gun, Battlestations, and Queen's Own is simply amazing. With the right setup, this could be one heck of a fire-control computer, in addition to being a radio. It may even be capable of fully automating a warship. Not sure how much the Fast Gunners would benefit, but there's still all sorts of cool stuff you can do with a radio with a 4.8" touch screen, Linux OS, and a 1ghz ARM Cortex Processor.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

That's really awesome! But I can't afford US$800 for the basic unit, to say nothing of adding the radio module and other controls. Maybe after I win the lottery :)

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Looks great but too expensive for bleeding edge un-proven technology. IF it worked it would be great for my FPV Camera Boat Idea..

4. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Jadfer,
    I agree it is a very nice system, but for $1200, that is a bit rich for my blood.

5. Tugboat

You guys wait; Kotori will get his enlistment bonus and blow it on RC stuff instead of women and booze.

Carl, if you do, I will be totally in awe of your new toy :)

6. Kotori87

Nah, I'm not THAT irresponsible. I have to maintain at least the illusion of being a respectable sailor. I'll only blow HALF of it on RC stuff, and use the other half for women and booze :D

7. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

That's a Snipe answer for you . . .

8. Kotori87

Wait one. Better idea. I'll blow the entire bonus on a rubber Godzilla suit and rebreather. So next time you sink, you know what monster is going to get your ship...

9. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I've seen alot worse. One of my buddies took his bonus from Nuke school and bought a (used) Corvette. Stick shift of course. Only problem... his license was suspended and he couldn't get a new one for 3 years. AND he had no idea how to drive a stick. :)

10. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Let me guess he was an MM?

11. Tugboat

Carl, something like 90-95% of the world's oceans are deeper than crush depth. So the suit might not get used a lot.

12. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Actually, might want to look at the FRSky Taranis, just now appearing in the wild. Uses OpenRX open software (like the modded Turnigy 9Xs and the Turnigy 9XR), but the control layout almost looks like it was designed for Big Gun combat (2 target designators, 2 range designators, so you can set it for a primary and secondary target), and starts at 16 channels with telemetry going up to 32 channels with telemetry. About $200US for the TX, RX, battery, neck strap, and aluminum carrying case. You can also use other JR style modules if you need to run DSM2 or FASST on some models. Carried by Aloft Hobbies, but production is just ramping up.

Best part, you can try it and the programming out for free with Companion software that contains a simulator.

Cheers,