Lathes

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by JustinScott, Jun 19, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I saved my money all month & got an extra website gig... this past friday I finally had enough money to get myself a lathe!

The drill attachment wasn't available at time of purchase, so its being shipped to me... but once that shows up, I'll be making the next revision of those Kat cannons!

The first thing I made with my new lathe? an aluminum chess pawn. :)

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Bah! A chess pawn? What's the fun in that? make some knights! Rooks, bishops, kings, queens, all the fun ones. Have some creativity, man!

3. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Now you can turn those tapered barrels you've always wanted!

4. JustinScott

You know it! Now just waiting for the drilling attachment. Where is it?? I want to make some cannons, damn it!

5. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

What lathe did you get, my wife just told me I can get one. But not sure about which one to get, Was looking at the Cummins, its a 7 x 12 for $399, which is the same unit that others are selling for anywhere from $450 to $600.

Visit this site

Or the Micro-mark 7 x 14, but its a little over $600.

Visit this site

Anyone else know of a good one, the more I read about the Harbor freight type, you do not want to buy one, unless you plan on spending alot to upgrade it, so you might as well just get the Cummins for the $399, since you will want to get the upgrades anyways.

6. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Have you thought about a sherline? It's a high quality lathe, and is easily upgradeable. You can upgrade later to DRO, CNC, and even add a vertical column to turn it into a mill.

www.sherline.com

I'm still learning basic metalworking, but I've been very happy with my sherline.

Carl

7. djranier

Yes I did look at those, but I checked out some of the Lathe forums, and they say that it does not have all the options available that you can get from the other manufactures.

Thanks for the input, I will look at it again. Thats why I posted here, I have not purchased one as of yet. The Lathe forums really like the Micro-mark, they say for a small lathe, that you cannot find one much better.

8. JustinScott

I actually chose the harbor freight. It is just find for my needs, I'm not a pro by any means... I just need something that will turn metal, nothing more.

9. djranier

Which one did you get the 7x10, 7x12, or the mini Harbor freight?

The mini scares me a little, since its only 1/10 horse power, and I don't think it will last long. Its what the lathe forum people also say.

Wht I'm looking at the Cummins, 3/4 HP, and only $399.

10. JustinScott

I got the 7" x 12" PRECISION MINI LATHE
    Visit this site

[​IMG]

--> Although I think I paid closer to $350, guess it was on sale.

11. donanton

donanton Member

Ahh, Harbor Freight. I get tools and stuff from there. It's suprising all the stuff they sell there. They sell bandsaws for cutting meat and lots of other things that you wouldn't expect them to.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94043
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45006

A few things that we all need one of.

12. djranier

Yes they have sales, you must of got it during one. I got my Mini mill during a sale, saved a bit.