Video Launching the Preußen

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Kotori87, May 13, 2022.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

So this is a small project I took up during 2020. fully designed in Fusion360, entirely 3d printed from ABS on my Lulzbot mini2. The original ship was purely wind-powered, but I have added an auxiliary motor and the whole thing is combat-legal for both Big Gun and Fast Gun. I was finally able to get it mobile and buoyant, so I figured it was time for a launching ceremony. During a lunch break at work, some work buddies and I headed to the local pond and put her in the water.

View: https://youtu.be/jvYQhpO6ZG4

You may have noticed she's a little tippy. Still floating upright though, and I plan to improve on that. After some work with a hammer, the ballast should be flat enough to stick on the bottom, moving about 5lb of lead sheet down by at least an inch. That *should* be sufficient stability for purely motor-driven operations. Eventually, I plan to add sails and servos to control those sails, and at that point I will add a broad 6" or 8" detachable fin keel so the Preußen can do what she does best. I've made a few changes to the design since printing this hull. Once I finish incorporating these improvements into the 3d model, I will post it to the resources page so anyone can print one. I also hope to make a larger un-sinkable non-combat version in 1:96 scale for sailing in more open waters.

2. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

She is beautiful!

I love that she was christened with Barq's root beer

3. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Looks cute ... Still waiting for someone to make a paddlewheel aircraft carrier...

Panzer likes this.