Liberty ship build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by wfirebaugh, Oct 14, 2019.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

If you look at the real Jeremiah O'brien empty of a cargo load she rides relatively high out of the water with a fair bit of the Prop visible, while loaded with cargo the prop is not seen. I have been messing with the deck objects for a while making molds and casting parts.

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

That's all well and good, but for the model if you want it to move the prop needs to be under water. On my C3's I couldn't make speed at first because the prop was too close to the surface of the water and just cavitated, the boat ran at like 45 seconds for 100ft regardless of throttle setting. Sinking it down with some weight in the stern and it worked fine, but I think I made the prop shaft lower in the boat than what you have, so there's a fair bit of hard area you could add if you wanted (hard area is not a big deal for convoys, just wanted you to be aware)

wfirebaugh likes this.
  3. wfirebaugh

I was not seeing a good way to mount the skin to the hull with the frames in set 1/8 from the surrounding fore/aft lower fiberglass skin, so I fiberglased up a side pannel to glue and cut the ribs for a flat surface. I am at work rite now and will take a picture when I get home. I will need to make the other side next.

4. wfirebaugh

my apologies for not showing this earlier I have been busy doing the ford online classes, I got the log in on the log in on the 7th of this month and I have just over half done there are 33 online classes to do before the school starts on the 2nd of June and will last through the 25th. I was cutting windows out today I wanted to take some time out to play as I haven't done that lately. I am using a file to form the panel to the ribs at 1/8 thick, later I will sand the lower areas smooth with the bottom curve.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Mad_Modeller and Xanthar like this.
  5. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

You are making progress!

I'm liking the Gundam's in the ship yard : )

wfirebaugh likes this.
  6. wfirebaugh

The Gm and the tan Zaku II are at ghe same scale as the ship

7. wfirebaugh

[​IMG]

Mad_Modeller and Xanthar like this.
  8. wfirebaugh

Well. I had a couple of days off. I replaced all of the toilet tank parts in my motherinlaws lower bathroom yesterday. and I did a little work on the J.O. today. I had bought a rotary saw blade set earlier today as the Drimel cut disks wear or break way too easy for me. I would really recumend a set of them. Thumbs up, works great, less issues... 10$ at Harbor Freight Tools.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  9. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Please be careful, a fellow battler severely cut his hand with one of those, no hobby is worth loss of digits. The cut off discs can be managed so they don’t break as easy, if you hit your hand it’s just some lost skin vs lost fingers. A lot of guys now use oscillating multi tools, personally I prefer the Dremel but many others switched to the multi tool

wfirebaugh likes this.
  10. wfirebaugh

ok, thank you for the warning, I have been no stranger to accidents growing up, my kindy garden teacher cut her hand on a old style full metal pair of sizzers that she needed surgery for, while my middle school principle lost a thumb to a table circular saw where he was missing just above the thumb nail, and my best frend growing up cought his house on fire trying to perform a science experiment he saw on Mr. Wizerd.