little camera for small ships

Discussion in 'Midwest Naval Combat Club' started by NASAAN101, Apr 30, 2023.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Well... As someone who regularly puts cameras on my boats, here's my I-haven't-tried-it-yet review. It is a decent camera, but it is not the best camera for filming purposes. The basic description says it only saves videos at 720p quality, which is very low compared to the camera I use. It also is not waterproof from the factory. That means additional work and weight to build a maybe-waterproof box, and a significant risk of losing your entire investment if it fails (along with the footage of the loss). The video is certainly not stabilized, so it might make viewers motion-sick. It does have a lot of storage space though, so it can probably record for a long time.
    The camera also creates its own wifi so it can share the video with nearby cell phones. This is a cool feature that a lot of mini cameras have nowadays. Unfortunately even this isn't very useful for my purposes, since the wifi doesn't work when there's a swarm of other radio emitters (such as RC radios, electric motors, electronic switches, etc.) nearby. I have operated a number of systems with built-in wifi to broadcast their video, and none of them worked once more than two ships nearby were turned on.

When I record onboard video, I use the Insta360 Go 2. It is absurdly small and weighs less than an ounce. It records high-quality stabilized 1440p video. It is waterproof from the factory. It is almost impact-proof (except for the lens). I have been using two of them for over three years now, and the results are fantastic. Yes, I have even tried one on my Gearing.

Justin Ragucci likes this.
  3. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

For something as little as my Le terrible,. Would a GoPro work for her?? BTW is this the one: https://a.co/d/ejjePbj
    Nikki

Last edited: May 1, 2023