Littorio

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Screen porch with ceiling fans is the bestest!

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I need to get some pictures up... I had the chain drive for rudders and propulsion in the other day, just took them out for silkspanning... I can not emphasise enough how wonderful it is to pull a few bolts and remove the stuffing tubes from the hull and the rudder structure from the hull!!

3. GregMcFadden

first coat of grey paint just went on the hull... undwerwater will be next. then once teh bow deck section is fully mounted, red and white stripes. I am debating which color to go with... I may deveate from scale and just do red because I have it but in real life below the waterline was green

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Do the green... you won't regret it! It will look t3h aw3sum!

5. GregMcFadden

green it is. Now off to find said green

6. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I was doing some research on the SS and I found a site which had the green color posted on it. I will look through my stuff again and post it here. I had already painted everything when I found the green. Might just repaint once it goes through its first refit but for now its red/white stripes, grey, and red bottom. Currently, only 2 things are holding Impero back from being fully operational is Cannons and SS. The cannons, I am in line to get some but not holding my breath for this season. The SS, I am doing research on it and may even buy a model Roma so I can have it in front of me. Hows the Laser cut SS coming along? Also do you have any photos of your progress?

Jon

7. GregMcFadden

since tug got the 3d printer, no progress has been made on the superstructure. Myhope is that it works as he intends and he can 3d print the entire thing.. Well that and some less than fun times at work that have redirected my after hours time to a certain degree.

8. GregMcFadden

green went on today. went with the closest non gloss green I could find

9. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

In the words of Tug.....Pics.......or it didnt happen :p haha

10. GregMcFadden

as soon as the smell is reduced enough it can come inside, maybe tonight.

update: just have to wait... I just applied the stern deck white paint so it ain't coming in tonight or tomorrow night.... until it has its stern stripes.

I left the bottom of the hull au-natural... it is nice to be able to see the kevlar (and the green will be horrible if the floats fail to deploy to see). as an aside, I think I am going to make my tertiary backup finder one of the noisemaking electronic fishing lures...

11. GregMcFadden

As promised, pictures. I wasn't planning to do the aft deck but she was already all taped up... still needs teh bow and mid deck tiedowns installed but it is getting close to runnable. You would not believe how useful it is to be able to pull all the running hardware out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Greg I am a loss for words because my jaw is gaping . Awesome work. Beatuiful job. Impressive. Wow... ok you get it.

13. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

OOOOOOOOOO pretty!!... Looking good dude. My Impero should touch the water at WWCC's event this weekend. Non-combat of course due to lack of guns and completed SS but on the water none the less. I am struggling to make the decision for the aft deck's paint job. I am torn between strips on bow and stern or just bow with the wood plank look for the aft. I am leaning towards the latter but we shall see.

14. GregMcFadden

Here is what sold it for me. Epoxy in general is not UV tolerant. paint will block some of that UV and greatly extend the life of the hull. that and I love the ease of painting the stripes. stern stripes are easy, here is how. buy a pad of green engineering paper wiht the 1" primary grid and 0.2" secondary grid. the stripes are 45 degrees off the long axis of the boat. red stripe is about 1.7" wide, white stripe is about 1.55" wide. at 45 degrees off, the 1.7" is close enough to 6x diagonals in the 0.2" grid, and the 1.55" is close enough to 5.5x diagonals on the 0.2" grid. what that means is that each line will always line up along a 45 degree line on the paper through the point connecting any 4 of the 0.2" grid size cells. so it is easy to draw, and use to mark off on the hull.

15. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I have already used Spar Varnish on the entire hull. does that help against UV? I am leaning away from he strips not because they are difficult (the bow has the strips already) but more so I have never done the small model decking. but on that note I have no idea were to even start with it like getting the materials etc.

16. GregMcFadden

I've done planking...with teak... not fun at all. you can get plywood with cut lines in it from model railroad stores (looks like building siding).

17. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I will have to look into that. there is ofcourse the option of paper. I know RCENGR has a template he sends out with his Golo instructions, might try that to see how that looks to save more time and $$ for when I get my hands on guns...

18. GregMcFadden

one other option is to pen down line on the raw wood and clear epoxy over it to maintain the lines

19. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Littorio is looking great, Greg! When is the approximate launching date?

Beaver

20. GregMcFadden

soon. reinstallation of rudders motors, props, takes about 10 minutes