Littorio

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Yep, that's the same ones I use... What motors are you running with them?

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16233 3s life. interesting thing is that none of my testing was under real load (only stuffing tube grease)... current should have been low (as evidenced by no real voltage drop at battery)

3. Tugboat

That's pretty bizzarre, as I'm running the same motors and ESCs that you are (literally same part numbers), with no problems. I think you must've gotten a bad batch. Do the ESCs get hot under low throttle, too? All the motor leads are well insulated? (silly question, I know, but it happens).

Do you have any other ESCs that you can try with your motors? If not, I'll mail you a known good one from my box for you to test.

4. GregMcFadden

I will wire up my spare and see. They were only run at low throttle the bulk of the time with high throttle briefly, which is what initiated the concern and the dissassembly... I may be being overly concerned about the temperature (although the board components are only rated to 85C) it was the general trend that worried me..... I will just run them and see, I suspect if they are really bad (and not just being run at the bleeding edge of their allowable values by HK) they will fail in short order. although looking at things I think that should I decide to rewire the logic board, it would actually be better all around (also from a waterproofing perspective)

5. Tugboat

The motors say that they're 50A motors, but I run my at low RPM (relatively speaking). I've never had one run really hot before.

Another silly question, are the fans running, and in the right direction?

6. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

This sounds more like an ESC problem, but your motors could be contributing. I just put two HK motors in the Hood. One spun freely and worked fine. The other spun but was hard to turn. I finally figured out that they had assembled the motor too tight and it had no end play in the shaft. A quick tap on the shaft to add some end play and it loosened right up.
    Is the frequency of the ESC adjustable? Some outrunners are not happy at certain PWM frequencies. The older Castle 25s had a problem that was fixed by adjusting the frequency setting. Essentially you could burn up the ESC at very low throttle settings when you were not even close to your maximum rating. I verified the condition by destructive testing prior to sending mine in for replacement:)

7. GregMcFadden

I did check the motors, but the symptoms are the same across both esc-motor pairs (motors are free)... I will check the timing settings (they are adjustable) and try a different one

8. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

It's good that the motors are not the problem. I didn't mean change the timing, but the PWM frequency. There are some ESCs (Castle Creations) that have a couple options for frequency, but it is not common.

9. GregMcFadden

no frequency settings I know of unfortunately.

10. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I managed to unpack the V2 today... Greg, my hats off to you... nice work! This will be a great build when I get my Mutt finished.

If you ever make any more runs of the V2 let me know, I will get another for my son.

11. GregMcFadden

I can make single kit runs at just about any point in time. just adds a little bit of cost on the shipping front. So whenever you actually need one, let me know and i can get it quoted and the cost back to you. Also, if you haven't seen it, check out the mackensen (although that is not MWC/IRC legal to my knowledge as it was never completed)

12. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Were are you on this build Greg? any progress?

13. GregMcFadden

Not much so far.... My recent vast increase in available time has been coupled with a reduction of funding for hobbies to 0$. Right now rudders are in, rudder servo is in and waterproofed.. ESC's just got their last coat of skotchkote tonight along with some parts and my shirt. Battery is 50% sealed. will seal bottom after top cures tonight. motors are thankfully coated in epoxy already. I plan to add a bit more in the thin areas and fill the central motor core with grease ala stuffing tube.

Shafts are in and greased. bow stern and raised stern decks are in and painted. central deck needs to be finished. battery placement may have to change as teh batteries I planned on using were not available when I ordered my packs (single 12AH 3S lifepo4, should leave room for 20oz co2 bottle or pair of 9's). No pump yet, water channeling is tbd. I am trying to figure out how to put it in in a removable fashion. RX's skotchcoted, remaining part is the RX to standard connector region. IP67 connectors have been built up for the build and built into wire harnesses,

14. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I know your are going top line on anything involved with the ship ... Maybe for the channeling if you want it removable, see if the 3D printer guys can crank out a channel using ABS. It would be light weight and could be removed.. They might even be able to use your files to assist in planning it out. The channel would have to be in 4 parts because of the size of the 3d printer table. Ask Tugboat! I bet that would work great!

I would split the set up cost with you if they make three!

Heck for that matter... I am not sure what they use to set up the printer, but if your cad work is compatible, you could do the entire super in ABS... I am seriously looking into getting a 3D printer myself... I'm retired so I have the time to learn how to use it and a cad.

15. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

May I get the link to the LiFePO4 single pack 12AH batts? I so want that!

16. GregMcFadden

the ones I bought are no longer available but it appears the 20AH single cells are back at batteryspace

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-Prismatic-Module-3.2V-20-Ah-10C-Rate-64-wh.aspx

17. GregMcFadden

Well, the ESC's are mounted, motors are freshly greased and back in. battery pack located, need to figure out mount. motors may cause issue with stern turret but I think it will be ok, provided that I stuff the magazine up inside the nicely large barbette. space between aft rudder assembly and #3 turret reserved for #3 turret gas supply hardware.... now I want to get her on the water, run her around a bit, before starting to work on cannons

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yes!! Lets see this beast on the water. Can't wait to see it.

19. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Im curious, how are the motors effecting the turret location? are they just to big? I went with a different set then what was intended with 4 small motors, 1 for each shaft. I think its time for some photos of her on the water and in general to, you know remind us how beautiful she is. :)

20. GregMcFadden

I moved my motors around and now they sit in the vicinity of the stern turret. There should still be ample room for a turret (I think) but we will see. I can always flip them around if I need to to get them out of the way, it just won't be as elegant of a set up. As soon as I can get her on the water, I will take pictures.

As long as the magazine OD is 3.5" then it will fit without issue (other than some rerouting of wires but that is easy). bigger than 3.5" can't fit anyways because the step down to the stern deck will interfere.

_Greg