Littorio

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Jan 15, 2012.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

the trick is to actually get the 2.5 hours split it up and you might as well not even work on it

2. GregMcFadden

getting closer... detailed design is by and large done up to the lowest deck level. remaining is the horiz. stringer and detailing the upper deck. no provision for cannons has been designed in as I still don't know what I will end up putting in her (but that can be a winter project) and the superstructure will definitely be a winter project.
    but after I had had enough of the detailing, I started on something frivolous.. it is about 50% done, still need to block in the guns. I am only going to a level that could be molded, no further.... although I found a rather reasonable place for rapid prototyping tiny stuff, I may try that route to make the master... Anyways, it will probably sit at 50% for a while as I need to get back to getting the hull done...

[​IMG]

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Verrrry nice Greg.

4. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Did you mention what software you are useing Greg?

5. GregMcFadden

lunch break solidworks (we call it training around here)

6. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

It would take me years to learn how to do that...

7. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    It is really not that hard to learn. Taught myself most just by playing around with the program drawing stuff for a couple of weeks. There are a lot of things to figure out, but usually you draw a 2d shape, give it dimensions and constraints to keep the lines from moving, then extrude the 2d shape into a 3d one.
    It can get a lot more complicated than that but for most basic solids that is all you have to do.

Ron Hunt

8. GregMcFadden

yep. it also teaches you to read plans better. you start noticing all those little errors in plans. Non analytic features are more fun to make (things not made from extrusions of lines and arcs, revolutions of lines and arcs, and cuts of the same two previous forms) and trickier, but still straight forward. the part that takes the longest is doing so efficiently and in a way that can be modified easily

9. GregMcFadden

Just a couple of teasers. need to make the big gun sized rudders and then do the proper manipulation for the laser cutting shop and get a quote

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. GregMcFadden

well, how time does fly... the deck design has been evolving with input from some folks out there. Pictures below show the layout I am looking at along with the deck components. Plan is to allow cannons to remain fixed in place with the co2 and batteries easily accessible. that being said, it is straight forward to bond the deck parts together using the cross braces to form one larger deck.
    see here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

As one who battled her for 5+ years, that is a great deck layout. Have you given any thought to the exit point for the pump? If I may, I would suggest the step deck and aim the stream as parallel as possible. Great job on the build.

12. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Parallel might be fine in Big Gun format. You can do the same in small gun too, but beware, keep that water flow so it will not spray the captains on the bank. Some captain may bust your nose and black your eyes if you soak his 300.00 radio with your pump stream.... :woot: I would sugest either angled up or below 0 degrees.... Having a pump outlet running parallel has too much of a chance in soaking those on the bank, not to mention our radios......

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No physical combat lakeside... it's ungentlemanly. :)

I like the pump stream parallel to the deck for two reasons: pump washing an enemy :) and it prevents the torque from the pump spray from rolling your ship if it's close to tipping! Brian K's Titan-equipped pump produces a noticeable rolling moment when it lights off.

14. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ok so I am looking through the designs and I really want to see some pics of this build because it looks awesome. Any time frame on when that will be happening?

15. GregMcFadden

trying to get it out for quote by the end of the month.

On the pump front, I have not decided exactly where, but that is rather flexible and will not be designed into the ribs/hull as everyone has a favored spot

16. GregMcFadden

Alright, no new pictures but good news. The rib design is locked down until after the first run of kit builds. I am just waiting on a reply from the laser cutter and then dxf creation begins

17. GregMcFadden

and she is out for quote. assuming reasonableness, hardware will become a reality

18. GregMcFadden

[​IMG]

So while waiting on the quote, I went to work adding more detail to the tertiary guns and finishing up a good enough model of the breda's... but now the better part... by hollowing them out, I found a place that will rapid prototype the tertiaries for about 15$ and the breda's for about 2$. Both would need finishing work and some metal tubing to make them suitable for pulling a mold... but that would save a lot of time.

19. GregMcFadden

Quote not yet here, probably due to the holiday. that has given me some time to get the searchlights sorted out good enough for our purposes. I've been considering attacking the breda 37mm AA batteries, but I am not that much of a glutton for punnishment yet... we will see.

Now I am just antsy for the quote so I can get some real wood parts coming.

[​IMG]

20. GregMcFadden

alright, sorry for the delay folks, the July 4th weekend and holidays put a crimp on quoting. the final DWG went out for quote tonight. hope to hear back soon, so for those of you who were interested, I will be sending you details on that quote when I receive it, so be on the lookout!