Littorio

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Jan 15, 2012.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Not really if reinforced properly. All superstructure wears and while one could mold it out of foam (see my tirpitz thread from years back) the upfront investment of money and time to make the molds is not doable. What I plan to do is put a 1/32" rubber layer over the vertical surfaces to act as an impact absorber and reinforce with glass. The molded parts will be rubber/foam rubber of some sort. have not decided.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

3. GregMcFadden

one of the better release agents I have found is packing tape... turns boat hull into curing table

[​IMG]
    And now for secondaries... see below
    [​IMG]

4. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

any chance you would be willing to send me the designs you used for your secondaries? I was able to get a hold of the primary turrets and the anti aircraft but i cannot find the secondary turrets.

5. GregMcFadden

What do you need? I can easily make section drawing additions/new plans for them. I had that one rapid prototyped, I plan to prep it and pull a mold sometime in the summer

One side note that I was going to probably ignore initially on my L. there are actually 4 unique secondary turrets on the L. the box shaped widget at the back of the turret over the rangefinder is different port to starboard and the bow turrets have a different MG nest, getting effectively 4 unique turrets. I was planning on not making that many molds.

If you are just looking for a good starting point for your own mold, I've sent you a PM. I will probably have a much more accurate than I have seen available primary sometime soon as well (model is done)

_Greg

6. duckie2045

duckie2045 Member

i need to see a set of plans so i can get my hull togater.

7. GregMcFadden

everyone who bought a kit was sent a link to my drive account where plans can be downloaded. if you got a hull from someone else, let me know your full name, their full name and email and I can add you to the access list. send via PM please

8. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Just AMAZING what u have Done! Thank you you for sharing all this with us, I have Really enjoyed reading thru your threads, Both here and the Mack thread. If u are doing another run in the future of Mack or L plz let me know cuz i would love to get one as well!

9. GregMcFadden

I will post on the mackensen thread/new thread when ready. it won't be much longer till the M is ready for a run

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

It is impressive how quickly you can put one of these together. Before I am even close to being finished with the Littorio the mac is almost ready. Very impressive. You have skills my friend.

11. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure this was asked and answer but I cannot find it in the thread. For the SS are you laser cutting that as well or just building it out of foam?

Jon

12. GregMcFadden

at some point I plan on laser cutting it but that is after the mackensen design is complete. I might see about rapid prototyping since Clark is getting one but we will see

13. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ignore the last, I found the answer on the previous page (slaps hand to forehead Doh)

14. Tugboat

Anything that fits in an 8" x 8" x 5" envelope is printable. I confirmed with the company that it can print ABS, PLA, and even polycarbonate.

15. GregMcFadden

Well, when you are ready, I will make up some files :)

16. Tugboat

Trust me, when it's up and running I will be doing show&tell.

17. GregMcFadden

bow sheeting template.. if it works well I will add to the plans
    [​IMG]
    note the hull form. sheeted fairly easily so far. I made sure to get straight grained balsa and simply scored at the crease. split nicely. silkspan or new equivalent will seal up well.
    [​IMG]

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That is really cool.

19. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

It is hard to tell from the photo but do you just have three separate pieces of balsa for that part of the hull?
    I have been starring at mine for awhile now trying to figure out how I am going to sheet her...

20. GregMcFadden

yes. no other way to get the hull form. may have detrimental impact on rounds hitting, but when that becomes a problem I will deal with it then.