Looking for a NAGATO

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by tsolson55, Aug 8, 2010.

1. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Anybody looking to get rid of a Nagato, all of the sudden I have the urge to build or just refit a cool looking, 6 unit 24 sec "Fast Gun" Nagato. It's been all German up to now.
    Skippy

2. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Does harry want to keep his still?

3. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

You know Harry, the more boats the better, it doesn't matter if there Allied or Axis.

4. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

How about your Fuso? I saw your Nagato from Gerald, and you said you were going to replace the Fuso, is that still the plan?

5. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Ah, but then I saw this. And it explains a lot.
    Skippy

6. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Ah, but then I saw this. And it explains a lot. "Battleship Fuso, former Cal-Neva Axis flagship. Decommissioned and scrapped following MWC Nats 2009. Material used in construction of HIJMS Noshiro."
    Sorry I forgot the post on the reply. "Getting Older every day"

7. Renodemona

That was my first Fuso. I actually have built 2 Fusos, my current one was built in 2008-09 after i got out of the academy. My first one was built back in 2005. I stripped that one down 3 times, bare until the hull was empty, and built back up. Finally decided to just build another one. My current one remains operational as I work on the Nagato. I'm bringing it down in October with the cruiser.

8. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

Well.... I was just waiting for the casemate committee... But the drawings that were submitted at nats look like they will PROBABLY become law. With that out of the way... I'd love to get to building it. Still would love to have a Fuso or Yamashiro... some day.
    Let me think it over...
    "can't pick a side" Harry

9. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

THE KAISER IS VERY DISPLEASED...

10. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I just got lucky today, I help Rick alot with BC, and I told him I was going to start building a Nagato soon. He said come over here help me get this box down. Guess what it was his Nagato, and he just goes and gives it to me.

It has not been used in 3 or 4 years, but is in really good shape, I stripped out all his electronics, and guns and gave them back to him. I plan on reworking all the internals. So now I will be spending my free time working on it, as soon as the Detroit is completly finished, but it has just been to hot the last month to work out in the garage.

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

SWEET!! Rick is awesome. What kind of rudders are you using? If you want them, I can cast you a set of the fatty airfoil ones like I made for Christopher's Bayern. That'd give GW fatty rudders for dual ruddered classes 4, 5, and 6.

I'm slowly working on the Moose, which will eventually (October-ish) have BC guns. I do need to get 2 of BC's 2-motors-1-shaft gearboxes for the drive. Hopefully at this battle, if Rick has them in stock. I need to send him an email...

12. djranier

As far as I know he has them in stock, we did sell a couple of those at Nats. No thanks, I made up some new one for my Duke, and I think I will copy those in class 6, and give them a try.

Steven Dickow at Nats was telling Don and I how well those gear boxes are working. He said that the motors are not even getting warm, but when he used the single motor it got to hot to touch.

13. Tugboat

Brian K had a pair of truly huge motors, along with some adapters that he had machined to mount them to a regular BC gearbox. He gave them to me, but I decided to go the direction I am, after wondering where I'd find replacement motors if the big (but never seen before by me) motors had issues. Brian can use them when I lure him back to a Vanguard :)

I'm running Lil Scharnie till spring, at which point I'm glad that Musashi will have an able stable mate to fight with :)

14. djranier

Those might be the 750 series motors Mark and I had. I think we gave a couple to Brian. Mark had them mounted in his Yamato, and I had them in my VV. They moved both ships with ease, and did not get hot at all. Skycraft still carries them.

15. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Clark can you send me some pictures of those rudders. I was going to attempt to make some this week.

Thanks

Johnny

Did you send the foam? I never got it.

16. Tugboat

Nah, I haven't sent it yet, two of the medical assistants at work quit and it's been all me the nurse and one MA, I haven't felt like running errands (need groceries, too, now that I think about it). I need to mail a box to Strike, so I will bend every effort this week to get both boxes out. May impose on the wife since her office is near the post office. I think it'll fit in one of those USPS one-price-for-whatever-you-cram-in-the-box boxes...
    [​IMG]
    The previous owner had great damage control, but he chose to drive the outer shafts vice the single center shaft. In fast gun, that's a no-no as turning performance is greatly degraded. So I bought Big Scharnie from him (pretty ship, could not resist!!) (did I mention that I have a disease?) and have refitted it with a center shaft, and two fatty rudders. Since I have an HMS Indomitable refit going on as a 'while epoxy dries' project, I went ahead and shaped plugs for fatty rudders for class 4 dual rudders as well. I do need to do class six for the Bismarck boys some time. The Bayern with the fatties turns really well, now that new-ship overweight issues have been resolved.

17. djranier

You dont think you should of put the posts more to the center? The way you have them towards the front will put considerbly more stress on the servo, since the rudders are not balanced. Also doing that would move them closer to the propeller. Just a thought, at times pictures may not make it totally clear due to the angles.

18. Tugboat

The posts ARE very close to the front, and there's a reason for it :) The current rudder stuffing tubes are further back from the prop than is ideal, but that's where Bill put them in his old setup. I'd say the leading edge of the rudders is about 1/4" back from the prop blades. The angle is wierd, makes the port rudder look like it's set farther aft than the stbd one, too. This was the only pic I have of the fatties, so I posted it for Johnny to look at. The torque on the rudder servo is not such a big deal, as I use a servo rated for the load*, and encourage everyone to do so, regardless of their rudder design. Overloading servos kills them... For this application, I'd either use a single large hi-torque servo, or two standard ones. For the Moose, I'm using two hi-torque servos with metal gears and metal horns. Banzai!^3

With Massive Thrust, Comes Massive Responsibility!

*I also use 6V power to the servos (not 6V from mains, 6V from a dedicated pack) for more torque.

19. Renodemona

Old servos from the late 80's seem to work really well for rudders. I guess since they've lasted that long already, the water doesn't get to them through the corrosion they already have? Also they have metal gears which seem to hold up really well. Also, you can get them cheap cheap cheap! (when you find them) But I'm not sure how even these old things would handle the rudder on a Yamato. I got a sail winch servo for mine, just to be sure.

Dave, how are you planning on outfitting the Nagato?

20. djranier

Hi Branden

Still a toss up, I keep arguing with myself about it. I like the Jeff 2 pump option, since I think stern guns in it is a waste, but I don't care for Jeff's starboard 15 deg bow gun either, I just not a good enough captain to use it like he does. I was thinking about a stern 15 deg gun in the elevated turret, and after how well my Duke's stern guns are working in the same turret, and after watching Mike's Erin elevated 15 deg stern gun, I think that I'm leaning that way, will just be easier to get it on target I think. Just have to see if I can get 2 to work at 15 deg, or just go with the one gun, with dual pumps.

With the Lifepo4 batteries, I will have 80 amps in it, weighting 12 pounds, not sure if they will all fit, so it might be only 40 amps, but that would only weigh 6 pounds, so I would have to add alot of weight. After I finish the Radezky, and a German boat I just started for another fellow, I will start on the Nagato, November maybe.

I will have to try and get back on the good side of the Grand Admiral. Herr Fleugel and Lief said I was banned from coming back to the Axis side since I started Axis, and they did not like that I went over to the Allied side, called me a flip flopper at Nats, and then went and made the Iron Duke mould for the Allied's to battle. I tried to explain that I was only trying to help out my good freind Don C. He needs somthing a bit lighter than his NC to battle with his bad knee's.