looking for a prinz eugen hull

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by rowboat captain, Sep 15, 2007.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

" bc does have the hull"

BC does not carry the Baltimore class hull. They carry both the Cleveland and Des Moines class hulls.

Both classes of ships do have vessels named after places close to Boston though, if that would be an acceptable option to you rather then building the wooden hull for a Balto.

The USS Salem is a Des Moines class ship and a museum in Quincy, MA which could be visited.

In the Cleveland class, there's the "Springfield" named after a town in Western Mass, "Providence" in Rhode Island, "Portsmouth" from New Hampshire and also "Manchester" from New Hampshire. Those are the only commercially available hulls named after anything close to Boston though. If you were to get an old Swampy hull you could do the "Northampton".

Mike D

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Well thanks for all the input. I will be making the Baltimore hull thanks to Buddy Friend who has built it in the past and will be selling me the ribs and bow section and stern keel to speed up the process.

Bob if it would be possible to put me in contact with those Baltimore builders perhaps it may save me some more time if I could avoid there mistakes as well as pick there brains .

I’m sure you all wouldn’t mind a different looking target to chase any how and if it doesn’t work out it always gives me an excuse to build a bigger one right ;-) now if that line will work on my wife I will be all set.

3. crzyhawk

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I think one of the larger problems in the hobby is the fact that too many people get caught up with ship performance instead of building what they like.

What I mean is, if I have "crappy Allied ship A", and you have "crappy Axis ship B", then each of us have someone to fight. But if I put "crappy Allied ship A" on the water and all the Axis guys are running their clone of "Axis super ship C" and I get my face ripped off, I'm gonna say screw it, and build myself "Allied super ship D".

This leads to what we often see now: 4 Yamatos and 6 NCs on the water, with a couple of Badens/Koenigs and a South Carolina.

Mike D

4. the frog

the frog Member

DEMARCO LEFT OUT THE OTHER FOFMAT WHICH IS TREATY IN WHICH YOUR SHIP WOULD HAVE THE SAME SPEED AND POWER AS A DES-MOINES BUT SHORTER SO IT SHOULD TURN AS WELL AS A DES-MOINE AND IF IT IS OVER 640 FT IT GETS EXTRA RUDDER. SO YOU CAN RUN THE SHIP YOU WANT AND NOT BE AT A DISADVANTAGE OVER THE LARGER DES-MOINESOriginally posted by Powder Monkey

Well thanks for all the input. I will be making the Baltimore hull thanks to Buddy Friend who has built it in the past and will be selling me the ribs and bow section and stern keel to speed up the process.

Bob if it would be possible to put me in contact with those Baltimore builders perhaps it may save me some more time if I could avoid there mistakes as well as pick there brains .

I’m sure you all wouldn’t mind a different looking target to chase any how and if it doesn’t work out it always gives me an excuse to build a bigger one right ;-) now if that line will work on my wife I will be all set.

[/quote]

5. Powder Monkey

it is over 640 stats below

Displacement: 13,600 tons
    Length: 673 ft 3 in (205.2 m)
    Beam: 71 ft 10 in (21.9 m)
    Draught: 26 ft 10 in (8.2 m)
    Speed: 33 knots (60 km/h)
    Complement: 1,142 officers and enlisted
    Armament: (as CA-69):
    9 × 8"/55 guns (203 m),
    12 × 5"/38 guns (127 m)

6. Powder Monkey

I forgot the other reason I liked the call # CA 69 ;-)

7. the frog

the frog Member

Get buddy to make a hull they are great.Run the ship you want you will enjoy it more regardless of the results.

8. Powder Monkey

She dose have some history:
    Boston received 10 battle stars for her World War II service and 5 more during the Vietnam Conflict. She also received the Navy Unit Commendation Medal for her naval gunfire support during the Battle of Dong Ha, May, 1968. Boston was also honored with the Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation- Gallantry for naval gunfire support and "Sea Dragon" Operations during the period 30 July-30 August, 1968 and again during Operations "Brave Armada" and Durham Peak" in June-July 1969.

WWII
    Boston reported to the Pacific Fleet, arriving at Pearl Harbor 6 December 1943. She joined Task Force 58 (TF 58) in January and took part in the raids on the Marshall Islands in support of the invasions of Kwajalein, Majuro, and of Eniwetok (31 January – 28 February 1944); Palaus and Western Carolines (30 March – 1 April); Hollandia (currently known as Jayapura) and Western New Guinea (21 April-24 April); the attack on Truk, including Satawan Island, bombardment (29 April – 1 May); invasion of Saipan (11 June-24 June); 1st Bonins raid (15 June-16 June); Battle of the Philippine Sea (19 June-20 June); 2nd Bonins raid (24 June-26 June); 3rd Bonins raid (3 July-4 July); invasion of Guam (12 July – 15 August); Palau-Yap-Ulithi raid (25 July-27 July); Morotai landings (15 September); seizure of the southern Palaus (6 September – 14 October); and Philippine Islands raids (9 September-24 September).

She served with TF 38 during the Okinawa raid (10 October); northern Luzon and Formosa raid (11 October-14 October); Luzon raids (15 October and 24 October-26 October, 13 November-14 November and 19 November-20 November, and 14 December-16 December); Battle of Leyte Gulf (24 October-26 October); Formosa raids (3–4, 9, 15, and 21 January 1945); Luzon raids (6 January-7 January); China coast raids (12 January and 16 January); Nansei Shoto raid (22 January); Honshû and Nansei Shoto raids (15 February-16 February and 1 March), in which she bombarded Japan itself.

Boston then returned to the United States for overhaul, arriving at Long Beach, California, 25 March 1945. Returning to the Western Pacific, via Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok, she joined TF 38 for the raids on the Japanese home islands (20 July – 15 August), including the bombardment of Kamaishi, Honshu (9 August). Following the Japanese surrender Boston remained in the Far East on occupation duty until 28 February 1946. She then returned to the United States and was placed out of commission in reserve at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard 12 March 1946.

9. crzyhawk

Phil is quite correct, that under treaty rules, the Baltimore class ships would be quite good; better then a Des Moines IMO. the OP was asking why they weren't popular though, and as Treaty is fairly small our needs/desires do very little to drive demand, and IRCWCC/MWC and Big Gun have the numbers of members to make places like BC build certain hulls over others. The needs of the MWC in particular are why BC builds a Des Moines and a Cleveland and not a Baltimore, even though I personally would much rather have a Baltimore then a Des Moines. After all screening carrier task forces is FAR more interesting then anything the Des Moines class did (with the possible exception of the Newport News)...although several Baltimore class ships provided gunfire support in Vietnam as well.

The fact that you can battle more, different ships without being at a disadvantage in treaty is one of the things I really like about the treaty format. Each ship has its strengths and weaknesses, which tend to be better reflected (IMHO of course) then in the other clubs, and very few ships appear to be "terrible" at least on paper.

And yes, the Boston won plenty of battlestars screening carriers and doing some fire support, but none of the Baltimore class was ever involved in a ship-to-ship action to the best of my knowledge. While I wouldn't ever take anything away from the guys who faced down the Kamikazes (my grandfather among them) in a hobby that centers around ship-to-ship combat, the Baltimores have a rather dry, un-interesting history. Just my personal opinion of course. Also, as an interesting side note, the Boston was one of the first guided missile cruisers in the world after being modified to CAG-2. (Heavy Crusier, Guided)

Honestly, I really hope you build the Boston and enjoy it. As I said, it would be much nicer to see then yet another Des Moines. Those ships (Des Moines class) just seem boring as heck historically.

Mike D

10. Powder Monkey

it was actuly the first guided missile cruisers in the world after being modified to CAG-1

[​IMG]

11. crzyhawk

I stand corrected! That's what I get for going off memory before looking it up to confirm!

Mike D

12. Powder Monkey

LOL it's the only ship I know so i will get 1 for now just dont ask me of any other ships thanks for the info

13. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I would like to say in defense of the Balitmores here for a monemt. I have been I beleive the only person in the last 17 yrs to build and fight one. I have the USS Oergon City and have taken high point cruiser south east regions a couple of times with it and other awards. Yes I built it because I was from Oregon! But as far as histroy goes you have forgot about the terrible storm that ripped the bow off the Balitmore and it surived to become the longest ship in the world! The main ship went back to the states for repairs and the bow was found still floating and taken to Guam!!
    Now speaking from experince I can guarntee you that these ships set up right will out turn the Desmoines! I have done it! Also have sunk a Adrmial Hipper /Prince Eugen and one on ones. I will admitt that they do like rough water, actually the rougher the better up to a point.I dont mean to go off on you but I find it a pain in the but when people start talking about a ship wont do as good as this one because of this or that when they havent even seen one in action.
    Buddy

14. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I know that Battlers Connection now offers a Prinz Eugen if the original poster is still looking for said ship.

As to all the arguments about well this ship is better than that ship. Honestly Build what you love and battle it. You will find ways to reduce the shortcomings of any ship you battle with enough time. In the end they all can sink and it should be about the fun.

15. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I was at Rick's yesterday, and he had the first german Prinz Eugen hull there, what a sweet looking hull. I have seen the Barnstormers hull also and their is no comparision, the BC beats the Barn hands down. Makes me want to build 1 also.

16. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I plan to buy and build one. Maybe just to get BC some photos to post of the ship and also possibley to help them get other things for the ship to sell since so far it is just the hull. I want to give back to those who have helped me out so much.

17. Powder Monkey

Barnstormers is MIA any how and if his hulls are any thing like his custemer serviece I bet their hull is 10,000 times better BC is the best