Looking for any Submarine m1 plans

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Sam Faul, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Sam Faul

Sam Faul New Member

I'm not sure if this is allowed in the group, but I was wondering if anyone has the interior plans for the m1 submarine? It is a submarine with a battleship sized gun, (18 in I would think it has ) and has torpedoes... I think that the m2 was able to deliver mines, as well... I was hoping to build it so I can learn how to build such ships....

Attached Files:

2. PreDread

PreDread Active Member

For the M-Class subs I can think of 3 sources,

You could try and contact the National Maritime Museum in England... they likely have copies of the original plans.... but they will be very pricey.

The second place would be Taubman's Plans here in the US. They list plans for the M1 and M2. They are likely drawn by the late John Lambert, if they are like his plans for the K-Class steam subs they are nice plans but only show cross sections, not a traditional "body plan" for building.

There is 3rd option, which is the one I recommend. Go to this link: http://www.modelarstwookretowe.pl/index.php?p=16

This is a Polish modelling magazine that you can purchase back issues of. If you go to the downloads page you can download a PDF of small low-resolution "samples" that let you see what you are buying. They are have list of plans and the issues that they are in. On the contacts page you can email them. I inquired about their plans on a modelling site and Sylwester the editor emailed me personally. He is very friendly and his English is quite good. I ordered 4 back issues and had them in less than two weeks from Poland. Don't remember the exact cost but it was surprisingly cheap... around $50 total.

I have the plans for the M-Class, it shows all 3 subs in 1:150 scale.

IIRC, M-1 has been built before with a functional main gun (it was a 12" I believe). But in 1:144 these subs are tiny....

Sam Faul likes this.
  3. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

+1 on the Modelarstwo Okretowe magazine website. I've bought from them several times. The plans are quite good and the service is both fast and reasonable. I was able to pay via PayPal, which made payment easy. The editor is good at answering emails within 24 hours (remember, there's a major time difference between here and there).

Sam Faul likes this.
  4. Skip Town

Skip Town Member

Hello Sam I have a set of M1 submarine plans, that I found in a old British modeling magazine. I lent them to the late Cliff Shaw. Where he blew them up to 1/144th scale. He made the sub in 1/144th and later in 1/72 scale. It was a working model with 11/32 ball baring for ammo,if memory serves. He made a spring flapper valve for the ends of his barrels to keep the gun from filling with water. I can't remember if a servo was use to close it ,once the ball strike would open it. But both subs had them on their barrels. I saw the sub perform in one battle and it was up against a class 3 cruiser. The captain of the cruiser chase Cliffs sub under and remained there over the sub and wouldn't let it up, until time was called. Some hard feelings felt, but {C'est la guerre, pomme de terre} Now the plans I have, show top view, side view cut away of all machinery and locations of the 13 frames also plan at super structure to show arc of 11 inch gun,as well as key to all spaces. The guys are right it is small. But Cliff did it, but he was the smartest man I ever met. And I miss him to this day. It,s going to take me a few days to get them coped ,because I am on mandatory week end over time for the next two weeks. What I would like in trade is a pump sensor I have tried to build one but to no avail.

5. Skip Town

Skip Town Member

oh Sam while I,m thinking of it. Check out the May issue of Model Boats 2017 There is a special feature by Francis Macnaughton __Combine Miro Speed Controller and Power Unit._ He takes a Feetech FS90R 360 degree servo takes most of the gears off extends the shaft to fit a prop to it and what you have is a speed controller with s reverse. that weight is about 8 grams.and measures 23 x 14 x 13 mm buy two and you have a counter rotating prop. WWW.MODELBOAT.CO.UK Well thats all I have for you tonight, Skip out

6. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Cliff's M1 in a 1980s ship model magazine and think the hull was deeper than scale. I still have the article somewhere in my basement files. M1 was equipped with a 12" gun removed from an obsolete predreadnought. The National Maritime Museum in the UK had detailed plans 30 years ago when I was into RC subs but their plans have become too expensive imo.

7. Skip Town

Skip Town Member

YES I think you are right Bob. I remember him saying that at !/144th scale it was to hard to put every thing in to make it a diving boat and a weapon. All with in 21 inches. I r ember someone commented, in a meeting , He thought that subs were to small and fragile to being any use in this sport. That week end at the battle pond, Cliff Shaw took his M 1 sub and threw it in the middle of the pond then grabbed his radio and went into battle. Ha Ha. It still cracks me up. Cliff would do every thing he would think of to save weight . I saw him take the screws out of a motor housing just to save weight. He would cast the elbow on a gun out of rubber to replace the brass fitting and to work as a O ring. That was before there were O ring guns. He had the hardest hit guns on the pond. I bought one of his caste guns in fact I still have it. Tell me Bob can a 3 d printer cast in rubber? Is it possible to cast a cannon to look like a cannon? Any way that is all I have . Skip out

dietzer likes this.
  8. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I've never worked with printers so have no idea if some can print using a rubber compound. I think some of the very expensive printers can use metal but don't know if it would be strong enough for 150 psi. A metal barrel could be printed to look like a real warship gun. When I'm making BB cannon barrels for battleships I sleeve the barrel with two layers of brass tube so there's a 'step' that makes it look a little more realistic.

9. Skip Town

Skip Town Member

Sam and Bob , just last week I ran into Cliff Shaw son and I mention his fathers submarine. He said something very interesting. Before his father was killed he was working on to powering the M 1 with an induction fan. Using the forward and aft torpedoes tubes as way to intake and exit out the sub. I did a quick look online and I did find a 65 mm fan with 10 blades. And it wasn't very heavy. Was just wondering has anyone else tried this? Skip out