Looking for Tugboat

Discussion in 'General' started by Kotori87, Mar 15, 2008.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I figure it will be a one event ship, it might last for the 2 convoys, but would be very cool, so I thought I would give it a try, but alas, we may not have room for it to ship up, so I will have to see.

2. klibben

klibben Member

The sails could easily be cut from silkspan...

I've always wanted to do the USS Constitution as a convoy, but she'd be absolutely tiny (then again, probably bigger than my S-100 i'm working on)

3. djranier

I would think silkspan would rip too easily, I have been think of what to use, but have not come up with anything as of yet.

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

A light linen?

5. klibben

klibben Member

I doubt bb's will penetrate linen - too much forgiveness. I doubt silkspan would rip just from the wind or anything....

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You're intending to run it on sail power?

7. djranier

Nope, [:D] it has a aux engine with a pretty large propeller. They have 2 of them actually, the Christo Columbo was launched in 1929.

8. Tugboat

Cool; I'd shudder to think of trying to get it to play nice under sail.

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

It's not hugely difficult. Here's a fairly small RC square-rigger running under pure sail power:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiH7NETDbwM

10. Tugboat

I mean playing nice under fire, i.e having to take the wind into account when planning maneuvers under fire :) On the plus side, very few mossing issues if you don't have a prop.

11. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Back to the bitty boat - wouldn't it have been easier to use it as a plug, pour an RTV silicone mold over it, then use that to mold a fiberglass copy? Either Smooth-on or Alumilite?

Cheers,

12. Tugboat

I have considered that. The only reason I didn't would be that I would be making a mold of someone else's plug, so to speak.

It would have been the easiest way, though. If I did it, I'd have to make the one ship for Carl, then destroy the mold (or store it and only make hulls for people who purchase that particular model).

13. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Tugboat-

Do you have any plans to aquire the Mogami mold from Ralph Coles? Eventually I'm going to probably want one of those hulls, and it would probably be easier (and cheaper) to get it from you then from Canada

14. Tugboat

I'm talking with Ralph, and I plan to accquire his molds after I accquire Bob's. I will likely get a loan and buy them en mass at some time this summer if Ralph is still in-country.

15. wrenow

wrenow RIP

I have considered that. The only reason I didn't would be that I would be making a mold of someone else's plug, so to speak.

It would have been the easiest way, though. If I did it, I'd have to make the one ship for Carl, then destroy the mold (or store it and only make hulls for people who purchase that particular model).

Tug,

I was actually thinking in terms of Kotori doing his own that way (sorry, not trying to take business away - in fact I am ready to order some of your stuff when it is available). Considering you are a third party hull supplier, I certainly understand your concerns in you doing it for someone else. Point well taken, and I agree.

nother possibility - sell the FG hull only with the full plastic kit included as a package (the buyer will want the detailing bits, methinks) for a premium to cover the cost of the FG hull. Then the original maker has gotten no loss in sales. After all, they are only $10-$11.

Cheers,

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Wreno, I asked Tugboat to do the fiberglass work for me because I couldn't do it myself. I have a history of horrible luck every time I try working with resins, fiberglass, or other composites. I figured that asking Tugboat to cover the hull with fiberglass was more likely to yield a usable hull than anything I could do, and since that kit is no longer being produced I didn't want to take any chances.

By the way Tugboat, what is the status of the transport? Is it ready to mail yet?

17. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Carl,

Gotcha. Understood.

I have been less than stellar on some of my FG projects as well. Nice thing about laying it up in the RTV silicone mold - you can use it several times without harming anything. Or, you can cast the hull in urethane. Lots of possibilities. I had even thought om making an impact resistant urethane mold with the penetration windows cast in. It would be a bit fiddly to make but not necessarily terrible. For SMALL ships.

Cheers,