looking into the hobby

Discussion in 'Great Lakes Attack Squadron (GLAS)' started by wdodge0912, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Keep it simple first off. If money/time is an issue Steve is right. Learn on a Suffren then go onto another boat after you see what you like and "get your feet wet" in the hobby.

2. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I want to build something not US based.

and is the cost difference really that much of a difference between the Suffren and the Des Moines? 1 gun difference, and the hull of the Des Moines is $15 more, deck kit and hardware kit are the same. gun kits are $35 more for the triple over the dual gun kit.

I woudln't say money is an issue, just that I won't be able to front it all in one big lump some purchase. and that would even be for the Suffren too.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Biggest advantage with the Suffren is she's only one powered shaft. Much easier to build. Since she's French, she can play Axis or Allied. Have you looked though any build threads yet? Check out my Atlanta build to get an idea what it takes to get a cruiser on the water. This is a CL so it's a bit more difficult and tight on space than a larger cruiser but it gives you an idea. It's also an unproven experimental build so take what's presented with a grain of salt. ;)

Also, read through the build and battle rules at http://ircwcc.com/main/home/rules/

aleMI likes this.
  4. wdodge0912

I'm just thinking 1 shaft and 1 gun isn't too much more to do, and I'd have a ship I'd really want.

I've been looking at builds, but I haven't had much time to actually sit and read. Will do that later this weekend. same with the rules as well.

I think the superstructure, no matter the ship, will be the hardest part for me.

5. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I think once you start a build you'll realize the ss is relatively simple part of the build.

rcaircraftnut and aleMI like this.
  6. aleMI

aleMI Active Member

If you prefer US ships and you like the Des Moines, I'd say go for it. I myself like US ships, so I might be a little biased though. As others have mentioned, superstructure build won't be the hardest part. And you'll have plans for reference.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    kgaigalas likes this.
  7. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Well picking a boat HULL is a good start.
    Buy what you think you can afford for parts (step one are rudder ,props, shafts and motors & motor mounts) DRIVE TRAIN
    We in Michigan can put you on your way to a good start
    Kas

aleMI likes this.
  8. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

Just make it to a battle before you buy anything...heck you might not be able to deal with my girlish figure or the quietness of Kas in person!

Panzer, NickMyers, wdodge0912 and 2 others like this.
  9. aleMI

aleMI Active Member

Best thing I've read today.

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I always know when you guys have a battle over there. Can hear the silence in WA ;)

Panzer likes this.
  11. wdodge0912

that's the plan, I'll be there for sure May 26th. I'm just window shopping right now. just figuring out what I need and plan to do when the time does come to build a ship, but even the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

12. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

The biggest advantage to building something you like\love\ are interested in is that you are more likely to complete it and not lose interest along the way, as so many people have. If your driving interest\love is the US heavy cruiser, than build it! If it is a different ship that trips your trigger than you should build that one, ultimately only you know which will give you the drive to finish. We all want you to have great fun with this hobby and play toy boats with us for the next 50 years++++ so let us know what we can do to help along the way and we all will do what we can to help. Hope i get to see you in Saranac in May.
    Craig

rcaircraftnut and wdodge0912 like this.
  13. wdodge0912

I really like the Des Moines, and the Maryland. I'm probably going to build the Des Moines first, and later the Maryland, once I know what I'm doing :p

I probably won't start buying anything until next year. I'm going to go to as many battles as I can this year. I may pick up a hull though late July, as I get a clothing allowance bonus from work. Fiberglass counts as clothes, right?

The only non-US ship I'd build for a first ship, would be the King Edward VII class ship, the HMS Africa. but I'd want to put a speaker system on it, which I'm pretty sure phycological warfare isn't legal :p as I'd have it play Toto's Africa on repeat :p

14. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Oh it's legal alright, it happens a LOT!

And as long as it's the 8bit version of Africa I think you're probably ok.

wdodge0912 likes this.
  15. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I have measured my 550 can pump motor, 12t Titan. It draws 33 amps in the boat when working in my Kumano at 6.6 volts and runs for hours without burning out. Stinger was drawing 22 amps.

I put in another 550 can racing motor, something like Gerald uses, it was 6 or 8 turns. Same batteries and it did pump faster, 2 seconds for a gallon, but was drawing 82 amps. Did not feel the improvement in moving water justified the current draw. Plus the 12 ga wiring did get hot, would have move up to 10 ga.

180 amp stall current on a low winding motor is probably reasonable.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  16. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

Glad to see you are taking the time to learn how to go about getting into this. Seeing everything first-hand will answer lots of your questions. Stay open-minded too, you may see something at the pond that completely changes your view on the direction you want to go.

You mentioned you may only be able to stay for a day but I would really suggest you at least stay for dinner. You're going to need a notepad to absorb all the info from the "boat nerds"

At no point in this thread have you addressed your skills with fabrication or tools you own. Not that anything you need to do is difficult but it will require materials you may not be familiar with. Since your first step will be cutting hull windows, you'll need a drill and dremel with a cutoff wheel (preferably the EZ506CU). Don't forget to factor in the cost of tools and build supplies.

17. wdodge0912

I'm ok with fabrication, I suppose, but I do know that I have a lot to learn. I took all the shop classes in high school (wood, metal, automotive, drafting, construction trades, electrical and electronics) and also went to college to become a diesel mechanic.

I have a craftsman brand dremil, just got to get an equivalent wheel, might be able to use the same. I'll be building this over at my dad's, so I'll have all his tools to use, and his help when he can. I'm gonna build it there as I have no room here in my tiny apartment.

18. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Golly Lou, you're just no fun!
    Jeff and I are going to jump up and down on your bed.

19. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

WHO THE HELL LEFT RANDY IN HERE HES GOING TO SCARE THE NEW GUY AWAY!!

20. wdodge0912

and then I haven't been seen in a while :p

I've started on my third shift schedule now, took singe time there getting adjusted.

I have been playing a lot of world of warships, on my phone mostly, but have on the PC as well. been playing US on my phone and German on my PC (since the full German ships aren't on the phone).

Now I'm not saying I'm not going to change my mind later about the Des Moines, but WoWs has introduced me to some ships I've found interesting, and some aren't even in the game, such as the Von Derr Tann.