looking over

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by zackcon2, Jan 28, 2009.

1. zackcon2

zackcon2 Member

i have marked the windows on my boat below the water line and would like someone to look it over. also i need to know how far below the top of the boat to go to start cuting windows above the water line.

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Haven't heard much from you lately, what kind of boat will you be running?
    Finding the waterline isnt very hard, you just have to find it on the plans and measure down that much. If your'e a fast gunner, correct me if i'm wrong, you just add 1 inch to that to get the bottom of your window. Then use the 45 or 60 degree rule for the stern. Best of luck.

3. zackcon2

zackcon2 Member

i have the water line and i have the windows below it marked and it is 1 inch or 45 degree. what i dount know is above the water line.

4. BoomerBoy17

if fast gun, it is 3/8 from the top of the hull that is impenetrable, if you have casemates, it helps too. what ship?

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

He's building a Von Der Tann battlecruiser. It's got a pretty complex shape that might put off someone who hasn't done casements before. If it was my first ship, I'd want some advice, too.

6. BoomerBoy17

He should look at Curt's VDT topic. And Good luck Zack.

7. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Try to go to Clarks, and Brians next build session before you cut the windows, and have them look it over for you Zack. You do not want to mees up this part of the build.

You go down 3/8 of a inch from the deck line, just at the bottom of your subdeck, except for the casemates, which as far as I can tell, no one really agrees to on that ship. Snipe had a picture posted of his VDT if its still on here, I would just copy that one, he does a great job building, and will be about as close to being right as anyone I would guess.

8. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Here are the pictures of how I cut out the hull of my fiberglass VDT, I hope they help you out. Casemates are pretty crazy, the rules are vague at best, the four VDTs at MWCI NATS this year were all cut slightly different so I wouldn't worry about it to much. People are going to ask you about it and tell you what they think you should do either way. Don't worry about it too much for your first boat, get the boat on the water thats more important than a casemate thats off 1/8". Hope these pics help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BoomerBoy17

That ship looks sharp Chris, and yea, these pics should definately help.

10. zackcon2

zackcon2 Member

yes the rules are not very detailed ,but thanks for the pics and ansers that will help alot.

11. BoomerBoy17

The ruling on barbettes has always been vague. Maybe they should be cleaned up a little bit.