lost a friend

Discussion in 'General' started by daisycutter, Nov 29, 2019.

1. daisycutter

daisycutter Active Member

We lost Randy to a battle with cancer the day before Thanksgiving. I lost a friend and fellow battler. I was fortunate to have known him and his humor. Great memories never to be lost. BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!! Randy!!

rcaircraftnut, Lou and jadfer like this.
  2. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

It's always hard to lose a battler, a friend, someone you consider family. A man is not dead while his name is still spoken.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  3. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Randy was always a positive force in the hobby, he brought out the best in everyone around him. He was a fierce battler, taking little cruisers deep into dangerous places and showing his mettle time after time. He would give you anything you needed and help you get going whenever he could. He will be dearly missed and thought of fondly always.

4. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to have met Randy @Sinkazuki a few years ago at the Brouhaha. His dedication to the hobby was an inspiration to all, traveling from Colorado to events all across the country, always pushing to have another battle or sortie at each event. I will also miss his sense of humor

rcaircraftnut and jadfer like this.
  5. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I heard tales of Randy from friend after friend and never had the opportunity to meet him. It always sounded like he was a total hoot. Wishing those closest to him all the best.

6. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Such a funny guy. He left this community his legacy in this Yubari plug. I’m really sad I couldn’t get it done in time for his passing.

7. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I will miss Randddddyyyyyyy. The hobby lost a great cruiser battler (often times Randy wanted more sorties and less talking between battles).
    If you never saw his "see through" T's on the cruisers, you missed a neat bit of tech.

Jacky Fisher and jadfer like this.
  8. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Raaaaaaaandyyyyyyyy Raaaaaaaaandy... What can I say??? Randy was at almost every single event I ever attended Brouhaha, Nats, Minnesota, and I think even the regionals down here. He ALWAYS made a specific point to thank me for hosting events and offered to help with Nats as well.

I will try to do a compilation video when I get a chance, there is plenty of Randy stuff on the hard drives.

He refused to take his awards from two Nats and 9 Brouhaha's so I had a big box of them somewhere.

I will miss having him out at events.

J

9. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I met Randy in 2002, my first NATS, it was his 2nd. I didn't really get to know him well until 04-05 when I started going to a lot more regional battles. He was always at the Fray at Brays, Tangler, Ritter Springs, Brouhaha, Ice Breaker... He'd drive by himself most of the time. He hosted NATS in CO in 2009, the year we had a tornado rip the roof off the hotel. There were many good stories that year.
    He was very friendly, fun, he knew the hobby and was a calming voice if things got heated over some rule. The last few years he'd bring his little mandolin ( I think that was the stringed instrument he had) and play it between sorties. His ships always worked so he had time to help you fix something or patch. He was always there to blast you with sterns when you weren't looking. It was a great treat to catch him with a sidemount. The Randy and The Japs Battle was one of the best battles ever. He was the Pirate Smurf. Listening to Randy and Jeff give each other a hard time always made me laugh.
    I was bummed out when he couldn't make the Ice Breaker this fall, now I know he was already getting sick and it's even worse not having a last battle with him. I'll really miss Randy.

Randy the tents are in the pond!!!

jadfer, Renodemona, Lou and 1 other person like this.
  10. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Sink-Jeff-Ep-2D-800.jpg

This was from a series I did as a promotion for the 2010 Nationals I was hosting in Houston. It was based on Sink the Bismarck.

When-Jeff-met-Randy-Part-1.jpg

Another made as a Nats promo.. before I new what a MEME was.... I made it for Randy and Jeff who were very.... close.

11. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

IMG_0031.JPG We enjoyed singing old western TV show songs
    Bat Masterson
    Wyatt Earp
    etc.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    jadfer likes this.
  12. warspite

warspite Active Member

Randy was an amazing guy. One of the most welcoming guys in the hobby. He used to hide things in my ships that I would find when I got home to Louisiana from battles. He will truly be missed. I am gonna try and make NATs this year after many years away and am very sad he will not be there. Some of my favorites include smurfguard anti perspirant, grim reaper smurf, and axe murderer smurf. He actually put this dude and a decapitated smurf head in my Westfalen after NATs one year. D18E3DB5-A81F-4641-B651-2DDBFE44CBC1.jpeg CC7885BB-31FB-4E83-9B7E-91634DE76B32.jpeg 6DE20FFB-AD3F-4CE9-8B5B-94393FE1F5D0.jpeg He will be missed.

Banzaiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!

John

rcaircraftnut and jadfer like this.