Low rpm brushless motor

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Beaver, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Just wanted to point this out in case somebody out there needs a motor like this.
    http://www.allelectronics.com/item/dcm-484/3-phase-brushless-motor-used/1.html
    Basically a low rpm brushless motor with good torque. You do need to take the back off the case, desolder the control board and solder three wires onto the winding leads so you can use it like a regular brushless motor, but that's simple work if you need this kind of motor. Bolt pattern is like your standard 550 motor.

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Have you actually used one of these motors? The one review does not fill me with confidence that these would be a good choice for our applications.

Tugboat likes this.
  3. Beaver

I have two of these that I've converted for boat use. They seem to be very well built and should last. They are low rpm though.

4. absolutek

Have you actually used them though?

5. Beaver

I haven't incorporated them into a boat if that's what you mean. Just tested them to make sure they work.

6. absolutek

Let us know how they work in actual use. Ive had plenty of motors over the years that "worked" but were in actual use, totally useless.

Tugboat and NickMyers like this.
  7. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Did you happen to measure the rpm? It does appear to be a pretty good bargain, I might need to get a couple to test.

After reading the one comment, it looks like the controller can be used with a simple RC switch to control a brushless pump. That would make it a real bargain.

8. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I went back and looked at the linked spec sheet and the controller is hall effect commutated, so it will only work with a sensored motor. I would still like to know the rpm, since the curves on the spec sheet didn't make sense to me, unless the controller is limiting the peak rpm regardless of the voltage. Moving to an RC controller would eliminate that quirk.

9. Beaver

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Hmm... fairly low Kv, ~450, so needs a 12v system. I like to run 6.6 volts, so probably not useful for me as a drive motor. But I need to restock my PDN motors, so I'll add a couple of these to my cart and see if I can use them somewhere.

Beaver likes this.
  11. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The fact that their bushed instead of roller bearings is good. I wouldn't expect a 450KV inrunner to have that much torque though.

12. Beaver

While cleaning the shop yesterday I stumbled upon a old data sheet of different motor's rpms that I had compiled when I had access to a tachometer a while back. Turns out this motor was on it.
    3407 rpm's @ 2 cell LiPo
    5123 rpm's @ 3 cell LiPo