Lowell Briggs Hobby Supplies

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I visited the new Lowell Briggs model ship website last night and found he now carries over 500 sizes and types of brass props, from 2-6 bladed. Luckily for those of us converting to slower Treaty speeds he sells props for 1/8" shafts (same size as those from Battlers Connection) and metric M4 threaded shafts, used by those of us with Rivabo props.

Until now Rivabo props were limited to 30mm as the smallest size. 20mm and 25mm props with M4 threading are now available with 2-4 blades. I've calculated that 25mm 4 blade props should put armored cruisers Black Prince and Minotaur very close to their Treaty speeds without replacing the motors used for IRCWCC.

The 20mm 3 blade props should slow Class 1 HMS Gorgon and HMCS Prince Robert enough, again without motor replacement. Several pairs of 20mm and 25mm props with different numbers of blades will be ordered today and hopeful received and tested before the battle on the 24th.

Captains running 1/8" shafts also have a greater variety of props to choose from to fine tune their models' speeds. Lowell Briggs sells many different bolt on gear reduction systems too and delivery should be quick because he's located in NS.

Bob

2. Bob Pottle

Just talked to Lowell. He has most of the props in stock so they can be mailed immediately and receievd within a few days. He's still making custom length prop shafts and stuffing tubes with grease nipples, as installed in my old NABS Warspite.

Bob

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Watch for the pitch of those props Bob. I orderd several props from Lowell and the props he gets comes from various sources. There are those from a swedish company that are very good but get as small as you can as the blade style and surface area also makes quite a differnce in thrust and accelleration. I used them on Yamato and it moved much faster than my BC props. FYI.

4. Bob Pottle

Curt,
    Thanks for the heads up. I saw several types of props listed, labelled Type A-D, with photos of all. The Type A have a pitch very close to the Rivabo props and similar blades, vs the obviously high speed blades of some of the other types.

Lowell said I should receive them in a few days, so there'll be time for more speed testing before the first NATCF battle on the 24th. If my calculations were reasonably accurate Black Prince and Minotaur should be running close to their Treaty speed with a switch from 35mm to 25mm props.

I've got 20mm props coming for the Gorgon and Prince Robert to replace their 30mm.

Ralph, Tom, Scott and me are getting together tomorrow after noon for speed trials. I doubt that the smaller motors will drive the armoured cruisers fast enough. If that's the case they'll get their original motors back and wait for the new props.

Pump issues are solved, with outputs reduced to Treaty specs. The output of my small pumps has been cut about 50% so we should see more sinks!

Bob