Luigi di Savoia Duca degli Abruzzi - Salvage Project

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Huru MorDae, May 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Huru MorDae

Huru MorDae Active Member

Say that name five times fast.

So, the goal here is to get her up and running for the NTXBG fight on the 20th of May, then convert and modernize her for biggun. The first Step was to get her electronics working, things were looking good till the fire control started to smoke. Both the micro switches seem to have burned out after doing some dry test fires, but the pump, rudder, and engines are good to go. I ordered some esc and new motors for her, they arrive on the 5th.

The 2nd step is to repair battle damage and get her floating, followed by a hull repaint. Post May I will be redesigning the superstructure. For the conversion to biggun I am going to pass it by the group to see if I can use 2 fast guns (one forward and one aft) and allow the single gun on each end to fire at the same speed as 5 cannons. If so I can keep the weight down and put minimal work into her, leaving only the torpedo launchers to add in later.

Pics down below

[​IMG][​IMG]

Boatmeister likes this.
  2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

While you're asking about armaments, you may also want to ask about cannons that fire two rounds from a single barrel. A basic MJV-2 cannon is very simple to make, and also very easy to load two (or even three) rounds into the breech instead of the normal one shot. Then you'd keep the normal rate of fire, and still be throwing the same weight of steel, with a smaller and simpler setup.

3. Huru MorDae

Do you have a link on how those cannons are built?

4. Kotori87

5. Huru MorDae

Starting making the new power harness setup. The motors are in (Janky mounted for now as the original bracket does not fit the motors correctly) I got the pump back up and working for now, just got to do the fire control now. Aiming to have it done by the 14th to give me time to work out the bugs by the 20th. Been a busy week, will post some pics later this week, but for now it's time to get back to work.

6. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Great looking ship you got there!

Our rules state:you can load a single turret with one cannon and increase the fire rate to match the fire power from that cannon.

So you have triple and dual cannons; so I would load the single fast gun cannon into the triple turrets. With that setup, each turret can fire every .6 seconds. (2 second reload / 3 barrels).

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  7. Huru MorDae

Wires are built, and waiting on a few electric switches to arrive. Hopefully, my idea will mean the build is complete tomorrow and All I need to do is finish some minor repairs and take pictures. Otherwise, I must build an entire fire control block, cutting time close for the 20th.

JustinScott likes this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

I would have thought that at one round every two seconds, a microswitch would have been fine for your purposes.

9. Huru MorDae

I am testing the use of some electric switches for now. Will work fine for my Giulio Cesare, but eventually I will need separate firing arcs for forward cannons, back cannons, and torps for this guy. Also just completed tests for the switches, they work. Just got to assign the pump to the right switch and we are good to go. (Once I figure out how to do that).

10. Huru MorDae

Did some water trials today, and spent about 30 mins out on the pond before the work week starts.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YjmSUUcdqCY
    ^
    The link will not embed so, there you have it.

She is a little bit top-heavy and leans a bit to the side. But she is also not at max weight (about 1 pound underweight), and not balanced yet. Once she loses the top her handling improves massively. I will need to build some extensions for the wire harness so I can re-balance the ship, and the co2 tank will add about 2 pounds to the front when filled.

11. Huru MorDae

Still got to do some touch-ups but, the Abruzzi is now in her proper camo on the hull.
    [​IMG]

Nateseadog and diceman42 like this.
  12. Kotori87

Italian cruisers are notoriously tippy. I bet she'd benefit quite a bit from bilge keels and some lead sheet on the bottom of the hull.

13. Huru MorDae

Ya, I was looking into that before work today. Im not sure how thin I can make it, or does it matter and if it works more like how a wing does and I just need surface area.

14. Huru MorDae

Working on a low poly superstructure to replace the old one currently

upload_2023-6-10_0-50-9.png

JustinScott likes this.
  15. Huru MorDae

In between excessive amounts of overtime, I present some more rough cad work

upload_2023-7-16_7-49-49.png

diceman42, Renodemona and JustinScott like this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Looking good!

17. Huru MorDae

Just an update, currently out of state for work at the moment. Bought a new laptop to do some cad work in my off time. Laptop is borked :/ replacement will not arrive until the 25th

18. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

19. Huru MorDae