Lutzow

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by sinkin321, Oct 29, 2008.

1. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

I plan to pick up the graf spee hull from Bob on Thurs. This will give me my old cruiser back as thats what i started with was Tommy's old Lutzow. I will be in need of a 3.5oz bottle but all other parts are here. This boat will be built over the winter and will battle in 2009 built to treaty rules. This will give me two treaty ships and two iirc ships so i can battle either way.

2. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

John, Mack found a source for small bottles and light regs too.
    J

3. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Hey Jay the Lutzow does not need a lightweight Craig is having problems getting her to weight with its gear, I plan to use my heavy just to add the extra weight.

4. Jay Jennings

OK, who knew??

5. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I sure did not until Craig started to put the gear just sitting in the hull and it came up light, he will most likely hve to add ballast to get its weight right.

6. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

So, mine ought to be just about right, wieght wise, seeing as i will probably bui;ld heavy, having little idea of what to do. Do you guys suggest that concrete crack filler for waterchanneling?

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I used the self leveling concrete sealer in my Lutzow. Worked great! It kept the weight down low in the hull. I think it only used around 14 ounces, so weight isn't a factor. My ship ended up at 13 lbs even. The ship barely rocks in a turn. :)

Here is some pics of the concrete waterchanneling ...

Visit this site

Visit this site

Visit this site

There was a little leakage under the wooden waterchannel rails, but the fix to that was to stick the wood into the hull and seal the gaps with RTV.

8. BoomerBoy17

very cool, i look into this.

***Edit: i might just do like 3/4 length of the ship, so that i dont get into the complex bow and stern.***

9. Jay Jennings

Boomer, just make sure you get the right stuff!!! I bought some up here in the Great White North but it wasn't the stuff that was used down there in the South. Well, I did a test to check the drying time and after 2 1/2 months, it wasn't solid yet!!! I couldn't find the same stuff here that was used by other guys. Just thought you might want to know,
    J

10. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Look 3/4 of the way down this page Visit this site and you will see a few pictures of self leveling concrete sealant being put into a wood ship. The third picture shows the sealant tube itself which may help you find some where you guys are at. :)

11. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Concrete sealer da! working in a chemical supply warehouse you would think i would have seen it. ok. lets see, second shelf in from the door third from to top marked concrete sealers.
    Thanks for the news and I'll see whats there.

12. Jay Jennings

Yeah, I saw that tube in another post but was unable to find it here in Nova Scotia. The stuff I bought at Home Depot was made by Stone Mason and is called Concrete Flex. I hoped it would work better than it did, but it took soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long to get even a thick enough skin on top that it would not break, I just don't think there is enough time in the off season to have a boat put into one spot and one position so the stuff dries and then do the other side ( I planned on having it sloped into the centre ) and then still have time to finish the boat for next season. Sucks though cause it would work real well I think, rubber water channeling.
    J

13. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

I now have a supply of epoxy concrete sealer that cures fast and is easy to work with. I'll do some tests on the old river class hull so i don't right off the good hulls.

14. BoomerBoy17

thanks mike, that helps. Ill look into it.

15. BoomerBoy17

i bought 2 tubes of DAP self-leveling concrete crack sealer for the hull, but its gonna sit until i can get the hardware kit, and pump from BC.

16. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Took the Lutzow off the shelf and dusted her off on Thurs. Installed the armour and the water channel as well as the shafts and rudders are in place, made the deck (again) and will have it on by the weekend. ship will be hopfully ready to display at the show in Apr. and will make a good bakup for Roberts this year.

17. BoomerBoy17

Back up to a monitor, really? Not the other way around?

18. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Boomerboy: The Roberts is a nice ship to run and can out turn almost any ship on the water. I have run this ship before and this is the second one and I think in treaty this is a tough little boat to sink. The lutzow is a nice ship as well but it seems like there is a lot of them around, so rare is a good thing.

19. BoomerBoy17

Thats cool, just wondering. Im doing a graf Spee right now too, seems popular. Did you make your own hull, or did you buy one?

20. Jay Jennings

Hey all a question of about speed. How fast is the Lutzow? I can find several different speeds online although the most frequent is 28.5 knots. When transferring to treaty speed, (ok 2 questions), do you use 31.5 sec, 31 or 32 sec?? Thanks
    J