MABG Introductions

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Battle Group' started by bmarkb, Mar 10, 2016.

1. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Hi,
    I'm Mark Bunting and have been a member of the Mid-Atlantic Battle Group since 1999. Most of our members are, or have been, centered in Virginia, with others traveling from Maryland and North Carolina.

NickMyers likes this.
  2. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

To continue...
    My past projects include HMS Hood, HMS Abdiel, SS Nathanael Greene, and USS Reluctant.
    I am currently babysitting two battleships for another club member who is overseas.
    My USS Aroostook convoy ship is currently operational. My current projects include USS Indiana, USS Texas, Rizan Maru, and USS Fanning.

I would like to get together with any current or prospective members to see if we can plan some building sessions and battles.

3. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

And one in Pittsburgh :) I have little Le Terrible aka little terror.
    Nikki

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  4. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Of course, Miss Nikki, good to hear from you.

5. mabgfounder

mabgfounder Member

Hello everyone. I am Brian Alexander and have been involved with Big Gun R/C combat since 1997. I am the nutcase that started the old 'Blacksburg Battle Group' which later was renamed 'Mid-Atlantic Battle Group' to reflect [then] new members like Mark who were outside of the local area.

I have been less active the last couple of years as my wife and I decided to start a family. So most of my time these days goes to tripping on toys and trying to get children to eat their dinner. ;)

My first ship was a DKM Gneisenau which I sold to Mike Horne. My aging Battleship HMS Lion is still my primary warship. I also have an armed Liberty ship I bought from another member along with a Battlecruiser HMS Lion which I have currently have loaned out to a newer member. I have also been care-taking a Battleship USS North Carolina for a friend. A couple of years ago I built an SMS Nassau with all six turrets armed and rotating. I have decided not to battle that ship because I have never been comfortable that the blast shields adequately protected the wing turrets. So that ship has mostly been stripped for parts since.

My current project has been building a high-precision CNC mill with the hope it will help me make cannons more quickly. I have a Scharnhorst/Gneisenau hull which will probably be my next 1:144 build. However, I am considering building either SMS Nassau or USS Oregon (BB-3) in 1:96.

rcaircraftnut and NickMyers like this.
  6. PropShaft

PropShaft Member

Hi, I'm Josh,

I'm sort of an infrequent participant in the club. College keeps me preoccupied.

I have an incomplete Liberty Ship. My perpetual work in progress. I've recently gotten back to construction though. I'll keep you posted on it's development. I'm looking forward to the day I sail it in battle.

kendall Giles and NickMyers like this.
  7. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Hi Josh. Where are you located?

8. PropShaft

PropShaft Member

I'm located in Floyd, VA.

9. Kilian

Kilian New Member

Im located in Virginia Beach. I havent ever done this before but i have built many revell model ships/tanks/planes, and played alot of naval games such as Navyfield, and World of Warships, and im in navy lol. Id love to start learning on how to build these ships and play with you all! Always have been interesting in this type of gaming.

10. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

For a lot of the guys building is the biggest part of the hobby, for them the battle is more to quantify the build, lol. I am about half and half, I love to get my hands dirty with the technical side also as much as the battling.

11. Scharnhorst56

Scharnhorst56 Active Member

Hello! I have taken a break from building because I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment. Come summer, I will go into full out building mode. I am currently building a fast gun ship, but I may build a big gun ship in the future....

12. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Hi Kilian,
    I'm just up the road in Hampton. Welcome to the hobby!
    I'm hoping we could get together locally in a couple of weeks.
    Are there any particular ships that you are interested in?
    Cheers,

13. Kilian

Kilian New Member

bmarkb: Sure il see when we could meet up! iv looked at the DKM Sharnhorst, HMS Lion, Alaska-Class, and several others but those are my current top 3!

14. mabgfounder

mabgfounder Member

Those are some good choices for Big Guns. I owned a Gneisenau for several years and currently own both a WWI Battlecruiser Lion and a WWII Battleship Lion. In my opionion Gneisenau was the best of those ships - and by a long ways. People seem more intimidated by BB Lion but the ship's maneuverability is so poor that it is easy to avoid. The Gneisenau/Scharnhorst sit in a sweet spot of being faster than anything that can out gun them except the Iowas and are super maneuverable.

15. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards a Z boat, as I already have the plans.

Z Boat likes this.
  16. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

I'm Matt, 28 years old, I've been interested in the hobby for a few years now, especially big gun, but a parenthood induced lack of funds has kept me from starting anything. I live by Stumpy Lake in Virginia Beach.

17. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Greetings all;
    The last time our club voted on members, I was made the MABG Moral officer. I believe that it was more because of my wife cooking than anyhting that I did. Anyways, I have yet to build a ship of my own. I have numerous parts for DKM Triptz. I do have three boats that belong to the club."Lumpy" an armed liberty ship that is sea worthy at least she was the last time I looked at her. I have a Frensh Destroyer Mogador. It floats. and another Destroyer that I forgot the name of. Between working for the government and doing my business I have had very little time for ships.
    I am looking forward to the club becoming active again.

NASAAN101 likes this.
  18. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

Now if we can make a version land based liek world of wartanks. LMAO May be a bit dangerous though lol.

19. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

So it seems im in between 2 groups for warship battling. the MAG and you :) Gives me options lmao. Im wanting to get started on a ship hull. I dont necessarily need a hull kit as im a craft person. Any good site for plans for purchase to get the hull and superstructure built would be greatly appreciated

20. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus