Mackensen Begins

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Dec 30, 2012.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

[​IMG]
    Remaining work: Deck detailing in certain locations
    Rib detailing aft of the aft stack
    remaining superstructure items
    misc. small overhanging parts of casemates (guns them selves are cut from tube stock)
    gearbox

2. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

looking awesome!

3. GregMcFadden

all parts done except for motor mounts. small superstructure parts are up to the builder, large ones are in wood. Larger parts need to be split up for shipping purposes. unique part count is ~80-90 and total count will be >120
    Baden turrets are close enough for most purposes but if someone with some time to mold parts wanted to mold up mackensen turrets, I would be happy to provide plans/solidmodel geometry/work to get them a prototype turret to pull parts from
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

note the deck. deck has curvature that is maintained by superstructure and some braces on the underside. the removable portions of the deck are held in with tabs that can easily be cut out using a raser saw or hacksaw. DO NOT fill the slots with glue or that job becomes more difficult. this assembly is different than many ships out there. the whole ship including most of the superstructure is assembled and strategically bonded together. ONLY THEN are the removable deck portions cut out. by doing it this way the removable portions will retain the same curvature as the nonremovable portions.
    [​IMG]

4. GregMcFadden

rudders are 25% oversized on area, scale angle and position. rudders are chain driven off of servo using standard sprockets and some servocity hardware. chain will be interrupted with cable to allow for the twist needed. some sanding of the local ribs may be needed for clearnace for the chain, but that is easily done.
    Now I need to get some drawings going to get parts out for quote
    [​IMG]

5. GregMcFadden

Just started the drawings... including the not yet drawn motor mounts, unique part count is 90 and total count is 176

6. GregMcFadden

DXF file generation for laser cutter done, first pass. now I need to review it and make certain all the parts are there, then it can be sent off for quote

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Does Mack use the same turrets as Baden? The ghostly outlines on your pics look very similar...

8. GregMcFadden

they are about 0.1" different. the mack's are slightly taller and shorter. I can provide rapidprotofiles

9. Tugboat

Sweet. I'm soldering the electronics for the Mendel right now.

I got permission certificates from you for the Littorio turrets but no files. Are they on a google drive or something?

10. GregMcFadden

there were two stl files in the zip file I sent you. you may have some other program on your computer that thinks the extension stl means something else.

11. Tugboat

oh, okay, should've checked the extensions :)

12. GregMcFadden

Quote Request is out

13. GregMcFadden

14. Gruuler

Gruuler Member

OOooh, pretty!

15. Tugboat

The lasercut kits (both Greg's and Mark's) are the most exciting thing to happen in the hobby in recent years :)

I know that one of our scouts who is close to getting Eagle is going to be very excited when he gets the Littorio kit I bought for him.

16. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

FedEx Shipment Notification

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

17. GregMcFadden

yep. does anyone know craig singer? I've been trying to contact him unsuccessfully for quite a while

18. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I got my notification to!!!! perfect timing as my Littorio (to be renamed Impero upon launching) is just about ready for float testing. :)

19. Tugboat

HoooAH! More motivation to finish the QE and the Mendel so I can print turrets and SS! :) I'm down to the wiring and it'll be ready! Not long now.

20. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ok so my Mac arrived today and boy is it prettier in person, great job Greg! :D

So being the extremly patient person that I am....:whistling: I of course popped all the pieces out and organized them, then started dry fitting the bow. My suggestion to ALL who got this kit is to be very delicate with the bow keel. Mine easily started to break at rib 6(aka rib 5 due to 1&2 being connected up front. Luckily I noticed it and was able to avoid complete diaster. Good luck everyone!