Mackensen Begins

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The Fred-Ex website says that at 0619 this morning, mine was on the truck, out for delivery!

2. MasterClay

MasterClay Active Member

so does mine but fedex don't deliver today

3. Tugboat

Then why say that it's on the truck out for delivery, vice at such'n'such location?

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Jstod, can you send me a picture of that region (I'd like to see what the plywood grain looks like there)? My kid still sick so I have not had a chance to start mine. one thing to make sure of is that the ribs slip on, not jam on. there is too much variation in plywood thickness to garantee perfect every time. the rib slots generally need a light sanding to slip on without too much resistance. every single joint should be individually test fit prior to assembly and sanded till it is a slip but not sloppy fit. the horizontal keels may need to go all the way to sloppy but that is readily found after the ribs are in place. my plan was to lay out the ribs on the bottom keels,. then get it straight with as few a parts as possible insaleld, and epoxy the keel-rib joints to make them stiff, then install deck and everythng else

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Mine arrived yesterday :) , havent had a chance to unbox yet :( .

6. Tugboat

If you slept even a half hour, you had time lol ;)

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Greg, I will take a photo and send it off to you as soon as I can. Probably wont be until tomorrow due to the celebrations today. It was not an issue of ribs being forced on, they all slip on nicely after a light sanding. What happened is I was test fitting that bow horizontal piece and then I picked the whole thing up by the aft portion. I think I may have moved to quickly or something causeing the now heavier bow portion to break. It did not break all the way but pulled a Titanic breaking about half way through. anyways all fixed now :) I will be working on my Mac while I await parts for Impero.

Have a great 4th yall!

8. GregMcFadden

Yep. it will be fragile untill the horizontal keels are also installed. As a side note, Jon found that I missed one notch on the stern keel at exactly the same spot as on the L.

9. GregMcFadden

Alright, for everyone who has access, an updated drawing plan set is being uploaded, including individual part drawings. I will also be sharing one additional rediculously large pdf (~250M) with you. this one allows you to walk through the 3d model from within adobe reader, rotate, zoom, hide, show parts. make sure the model tree is showing in the reader to really be able to work with it. a lot of commands are also accessable from the right click menu

10. MasterClay

MasterClay Active Member

Got my Mack and Lit both this morning and got bored and started on the Mack, got the hull and decks almost completely assembled. It is a great kit, I love the laser cut kits the go together so well and are lots of fun to build

11. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

My Mac arrived today! Would have gotten it on Wednesday but my family decided they had more important things to do than be at home awaiting my delivery. Looks beautiful but I have so many things to do before I can start it. Oh cruel, cruel fate!

12. GregMcFadden

Sweet lord! you guys are going to be done before I get the build instructions in this thread!

13. Tugboat

I hate FedEx so much. Won't leave on back porch, must have sig, only come when I'm an hour away at work. Ugh.

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

My track # listed indirect sig required - meaning you can sign a note asking them to leave it and have the note stuck to your door. Been doing that for years with no problems (with UPS too).

15. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Also if you get to know your Fedex driver they will do what you ask. typically they have a area they deliver to so it should be the same person every time

16. Tugboat

The UPS drivers here are like that, They don't even ask anymore :)

Thanks for the tip, Nick, I'll try that on Monday.

17. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

And time for my first question, How does one keep the SS up? when assembled it will slide through the middle deck portion it sits on. I have looked over the PDF plans but have been unable to nail down how it is designed to work. Also the big 3d pdf is to big and slows my home comp down to a crawl, solution will be to move it to my work comp which is much newer and faster. Still an amazing kit :)

18. GregMcFadden

See below:
    first off, teh aft two turret bases are set by measurement. measure and tack in place with CA, then epoxy. forward two are set with the deck stiffening ribs.
    [​IMG]
    the picture below shows the parts that set the height and keep the deck from falling through. there are no slots for them, they are aligned to one side or the other of the slits in the main superstructure. the parts under the forward turret bases DO have slots cut for them.

[​IMG]

19. GregMcFadden

pardon the bow-stern flip..

[​IMG]

20. Tugboat

My kit arrived yesterday, but I didn't get to open it as I was completing the wiring of the 3D printer power supply (12V 20A supply, don't want THAT wired wrong!)